Prologue

Oh, the king
Gone mad within his suffering
Called out for relief
Someone cure him of his grief

"Oh wise one," The old queen spoke with a shaky voice, her hand trembling ever so slightly. "Tell me of my daughter Ailbe."

"Your daughter lives, but she is gone. She is the greatest among us, or will be soon. Hail Queen Ailbe. Hail Queen of our lands." The old woman spoke, her bloodied lips curving into a grin.

"Ailbe will take my throne?" The woman asked with terror in her eyes. "I will die? Her brother will die?"

"You ask the wrong questions, my queen. We all die eventually." The old woman croaked, her hand outstretching to point outside. "But the owl soars over the serpent, and gold is born from darkness."

"You speak in riddles!" The queen yelled, throwing her cup at the old woman.

But the old witch did not flinch. She sat back, power and dominance oozing off her as a chuckle echoed through her.

His only son
Cut down, but the battle won
Oh, what is it worth
When all that's left is hurt?

Like the stars chase the sun
Over the glowing hill, I will conquer
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

"I say what I can and only what I can. Your questions may not be answered for your questions have no answer. A fool is a fool no matter what crown they wear." She scorned. "You should rejoice in hearing the name of the Blind Queen, for it will bring great joy to her people and her husband's."

"Husband?" The Queen's eyes widened again.

"The Boneless one will marry the sightless." The witch answered.

Suddenly I'm overcome
Dissolving like the setting sun
Like a boat into oblivion
Cause you're driving me away
Now you have me on the run
The damage is already done
Come on, is this what you want?
Cause you're driving me away

Oh, the queen of peace
Always does her best to please
Is it any use?
Somebody's gotta lose

Like a long scream
Out there, always echoing
Oh, what is it worth?
All that's left is hurt

"My daughter cannot be Queen, not to that Viking." The old queen fumed. "She's blind! She cannot lead!"

"And her lover cannot walk... But still you fear him." The witch observed. "Do you fear her too?"

"Fear my daughter?" The queen scoffed.

But the witch remained serious, watching the younger woman closely. "Afraid that she may surpass you as you always feared?"

Like the stars chase the sun
Over the glowing hill, I will conquer
Blood is running deep
Some things never sleep

Suddenly I'm overcome
Dissolving like the setting sun
Like a boat into oblivion
Cause you're driving me away
Now you have me on the run
The damage is already done
Come on, is this what you want?
Cause you're driving me away

"I'm certain my mother will kill me when I tell her." Ailbe sighed, gently playing with the small Mjolnir necklace that hung loosely around Ivar's neck. "She'll never allow it."

"Then we should go back to Kattegat and marry without her." He shrugged as though it was obvious.

Ailbe let out a giggle that was like music to his ears, gently hitting him and that joking way that she tended to do. "Ivar!" She laughed. "She's my mother."

"Then why will she be so upset?" He questioned, narrowing his gaze at her. "Because you're marrying a cripple? Hm?"

"You know that it's not you, Ivar." She explained with a sigh. "It's because of me. Because 'a blind girl may never be queen.'" She mimicked her mother with a disheartened expression.

"I'd rather have a blind queen than a queen like your mother." He stated matter of factly.

"What's wrong with my mother?" She questioned.

"The way she treats you because of your eyes." He answered.

And my love is no good
Against the fortress that it made of you
Blood is running deep
Sorrow that you keep

Suddenly I'm overcome
Dissolving like the setting sun
Like a boat into oblivion
Cause you're driving me away
Now you have me on the run
The damage is already done
Come on, is this what you want?
Cause you're driving me away

"It's never been her eyes that troubled you has it? You've always been afraid. Afraid that she'll surpass you. Perhaps by making her feel like she's worthless because of her vision, you could keep her down. It would've worked as well, had fate not already chosen her path with the Northmen." The Witch lectured.

But the old queen wished to hear none of it. She reached for her sword quickly, raising it above her head and slamming it down upon the old woman. The witch's skull smashed in two, blood splattering everywhere. "Shut up!" The Queen screamed, repeating her action again and again until she was stained crimson from head to toe.

"She will never take my throne."