The unending

The date was June 12th 1946

The date was June 12th 1946. Ailbe was still young and vibrant, despite the testing war that had dragged all she knew down. Life was difficult, but life also went on. And she still had so much hope for the world.

Before the war, she wanted to study in England. She'd decided that she wanted to study History, as she had always found it particularly fascinating - especially Dark Age history such as the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons.

When she first arrived in England, she didn't know anyone. It was a new world to her, but a beautiful one nonetheless. She loved every second of this wonderful world, every smile and every sunrise.

Her roommate, Margaret had dragged her out to a dance that very evening at a small bar near their dorms.

She never particularly liked dances - too crowded and too many people for her taste. She'd always been more of a happy loner. So, being the introvert she was, she gravitated towards the walls and corners of the room.

And that's when she saw him.

He looked unhappy, incredibly grumpy, perhaps even rude, and Ailbe just knew that she had to speak to him. When she looked at him, she wasn't sure why but she felt like she was drawn into him. She just felt as though she needed to know him.

That being said, she was also quite shy so it took her about an hour of deliberating to finally earn enough courage to walk over to him.

Everyone looked at her like she was crazy when she made a b-line for him but she didn't care. She had to talk to him.

"You look lonely." Ailbe spoke with an overwhelmingly kind voice.

He didn't look up. His ocean eyes were fixed on a piece of paper on the table. "I like being lonely." He dismissed.

Nevertheless, Ailbe sat beside him - much to his behest. "Me too." She responded with a smile, still waiting for him to look up at her. "I'm Ailbe."

Somewhere deep down in his mind, the name oddly clicked for him. It was like meeting an old friend that you haven't seen in years, but Ivar knew that he'd never met this cheery little Irish girl in his life. He looked up at her, and felt like he'd known her all his life. It was so odd, so unusual. But so was she. "I'm Ivar." He answered finally.

Ailbe smiled, for some reason feeling like she already knew that. "Ivar?" She beamed. "Are you Scandinavian?"

"I'm from Norway." He nodded.

Ailbe chuckled, her eyes lighting up with excitement. "A real Viking." She beamed, and Ivar had to consciously stop himself from returning her infectious smile.

For the rest of the night, they talked. They talked until they were thrown out of the bar and then continued to talk right up until dawn. It was so strange, this feeling of familiarity that they both felt.

And yet it felt so right, like they'd already known eachother in another life.

Thank you so much to everyone who supported this series and enjoyed it! I'm so grateful for all of you beautiful people.
It's been amazing to write this book and I've truly loved it.
Thank you to drxgonslxyerr for giving me the initial idea for this book because you're amazing💕
So sad it's over but I've still got loads more Ivar stories buzzing around my head so don't worry (my head is entirely full of Ivar and Hvitserk at this point)

Love y'all
-Rhi