Chapter 17

"Ailbe?" Eavann called out, eyes streaming with tears as her sister walked on without so much as a second glance

"Ailbe?" Eavann called out, eyes streaming with tears as her sister walked on without so much as a second glance. "Ailbe you can't leave like this!"

"Like what Eavann?" She spoke coldly. " Like my sister poisoned me? "

The night fell silent, darkness consuming their every emotion in a wave of superiority. In the darkness, problems never seemed so great. Compared to the endless sky of stars and planets, little mattered at all.

In life, the good were always the ones to lose. The evil grew powerful and rich while the good suffered. And though all Ailbe had ever known was suffering,she never imagined she would lose her fear sister. Eavann and her had always been so close. They love bed each other with an unbreakable bond. And now, after all these years,Alone could not fathom why her sister would try to kill her.

"Why?" She spoke in a broken tone, her eyes drowning in glassy tears.

"I-"

"Why?" Alone roared this time, a ferocious temper breaking from within her.

"Because you have everything!" Eavann yelled. "You have everything and I have nothing! The only thing I've ever had is Brian. And mother swore to me he would be her successor over our brother when she died. He is older, after all. All the pain and suffering I'd been through would be worthwhile. You don't understand Ailbe, I've never had anyone but him"

Alone let a year free from the prison of her glassy eyes. A heartbroken smile pressed into her lips as she spoke. "You had me. You always had me."

Eavann stated at her, gulping away guilty tears. "So what now?" She asked. "You have me killed?"

Alone shook her head, the tears still streaming down her cheeks as she felt her world shatter. "No, Eavann." She replied gently. "I could never kill my sister."

"My Queen!" A young man ran over to her, his hair as red as her own with an accent she could recognize anywhere. He was Irish, though she didn't recognize him from her town.

"Hello?" She furrowed her brows in slight confusion.

"My Queen there's been a slaughter!" He began breathlessly.

Ailbe's eyes widened in shock as she sat him down. "What has happened?"

"Your town was attacked, my queen." He spoke quickly, his words racing like her heart. "Your mother and sisters are all dead. Your brother managed to survive but many of the town weren't so lucky. It was burned, my lady. They burned it all."

Ailbe's eyes filled with horrified tears as she listened to the tale, her mind racing for some comfort or hope of any kind. "What of my sister's son? What of Brian?"

"Aye the boy was too young." He spoke solemnly, his head bowed. " I don't think he was the target, but he's with the Gods now anyways. "

Her heart sink at the thought. All that she loved was gone, burned to ash. Innocents slaughtered and killed. Brian gone, and she wasn't there to protect him. Instead she was here, in this place she now called home, living in luxury while her true home burned to the ground with everyone she loved.

Had she not have left with Ivar, she considered how different it may have been. Now she carried the weight of all those lives on her conscience, and it was an immovable weight. Truly, it was.

"Thank you, sir, for telling me this." She spoke gently, her trembling hand on his. "I will see that you are well looked after from your journey. I owe you a great deal for giving me this news. I only wish that I could've been there myself too."

"Then you would be dead as well, my lady." The boy answered. "And I'm not sure how the world would cope with that."

"Most likely better than I am coping with this news." She responded before wiping her eyes and standing to leave.

"I'm sorry for your loss, my lady." He called after her.

" thank you. " She smiled weakly before making her way out from the centre of town.

"Is this how you wish to say goodbye? What if we never meet again?" Eavann cried.

Alone gave a small smile, "we will see each other again."

Eavann gulped as she shifted on her heel, sniffling back her many tears. "I don't think we will."

" Goodbye Eavann, I'm sorry it ended this way. " Alone sighed.

Her sister have a curt nod and smiled weakly. "Goodbye Ailbe."