Chapter 21

Ailbe listened as Ivar's breathing steadied beside her, noting that she could finally leave

Ailbe listened as Ivar's breathing steadied beside her, noting that she could finally leave. She got up carefully, pulling on a dress and a cloak and gently closing the door behind her.

Her footsteps were steady and quiet as she raced through the midnight streets, flaming torch in hand to signal her presence. It felt odd, to keep such secrets from Ivar, but those were the terms of her meeting and of course she obeyed.

"My lady," The familiar voice of her new companion made the young Queen stop in her tracks.

She smiled tenderly as she paused for him to meet her. "It is always a pleasure, Ardgal." She responded in her native tongue. Even her own language had begun to feel almost odd to her by now, though she quickly recalled her roots upon speaking to him. "Is there any news?"

"There is indeed, My Queen." He answered. "The prince was found only two days ride from your old home." He explained. "I have told his keepers that you wish to help but it seems, my queen, that they want nothing of your support."

"What?" She appeared awe stricken. Her eyes were wide in disbelief, mouth slightly agape, "Why not?"

"It would seem, my lady, that they don't trust your company." He answered.

At this, the young woman's vacant eyes flared with flames as vibrant as her locks. Her lips curled into a bitter smile as she shook her head in disbelief. "Do they not trust me?" She fumed. "I am still an Irish Princess at heart and I always shall be. Do they doubt my loyalty to my family? To my clan!"

"My Queen I shall ask them." He bowed graciously. "For I know that you are true to our people."

"And so is my husband." She stated in a cold tone, anger flaming within her. "Who has saved our people from many threats, may I remind you."

"Indeed your grace." He nodded, quickly turning to leave.

At this movement, Ailbe grabbed his arm gently, her eyes filling with an emotion he couldn't quite place. "Thank you, Ardgal." She spoke softly. "For everything you've done for me."

"My Queen, I would do far more." He nodded kindly before finally departing.

Ailbe stood in the dark, her hood still pulled to hide her from the cold. Her head leant back, face aimed towards the sky, as she let the brisk winter breeze wash over her features. As the sunlight slowly crept up, her features were illuminated with an iridescent beauty.

Finally, she took in a deep sigh as the golden world around her lit with unimaginable beauty. She so wished she could see it all, take in every dimension of this incredible world she lived in. But some things were never meant to be.

Some things were simply our destiny.