Chapter 32

Ailbe left the main hall as soon as she could sneak away from Whitehair

Ailbe left the main hall as soon as she could sneak away from Whitehair. It took time but she did. She managed it, somehow.

She was determined to see Thora, to speak to her and to make peace. She knew that Thora didn't approve of her protectiveness over Ivar, and some part of her had begun to agree. She wanted to know that they were still friends, that they still cared about one another.

"Thora?" Ailbe called as she entered the small home that belonged to Hvitserk and Thora. There was no answer, just silence. "Thora?" It remained still. "Thora please," She pleaded, hoping that it would rouse some form of movement.

She felt her heart sunk into the pit of her stomach as she felt a feeling of dread overcome her. She couldn't quite place it, but it felt like electricity that flows through the air before a storm sending prickles up your spine and leaving your hairs stood on end.

Her heart pounded so hard against her chest that she could hear it. But it was the only thing that she could hear. All else was silence. The whole town - silent. And then a scream. A distant, shrill, bloodcurdling scream. Quickly, she turned towards the door and made haste. Just as she began to run, reaching out to slam open the door, she hit against something hard and fell against the wooden floor.

Her head spin with confusion, as she gulped back. She hadn't run into something, she'd run into someone.

"My Queen," Whitehair's voice made her freeze. "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine I just- I just- I need to go outside." She stumbled over her words. She was consumed by unexplainable terror.

"I do not think that is a good idea, Queen Ailbe." He answered stoicly, though his tone made her shiver.

She knew she had no choice. But she also felt the overwhelming urge to run. She had to know what was happening. She had to. "Whitehair, what is going on?" She asked calmly.

"My Queen-"

Suddenly, he was cut off by the intense scent of smoke. It smelt like burning meat, like roast pork. Ailbe gulped, her useless eyes filled with horror. "Whitehair, I know that you are loyal to my husband and I appreciate that but I ask that you, now, in this moment, are loyal to me also. Tell me what is happening."

He paused, contemplating her words. Ailbe had always been good and fair to him, and he would lay down his life for her. But telling her might quite literally mean he was burned with the other traitors. He contemplated this for a moment, thinking about what he might say to her. Finally, he knew what was right.

"The traitors are being killed, my queen." He answered. "Burned."

She gasped in disbelief, tears welling in her eyes. "Thora?" Her voice was barely above a whisper, too afraid to hear her own words.

"Thora is among them." He answered.

Ailbe lifted her hand to her lips to muffle a sob, quickly pushing past Whitehair to run outside. Her heart hurt. It was pure agony to contemplate that Ivar had done this. This was his responsibility.

And she'd allowed it. She'd let it happen.

She knew that she couldn't save them, the scent of burning flesh already making her nauseous. They were all gone. Killed for their thoughts, not even their actions.

Thora was dead. Hvitserk would be devastated.

Ailbe contemplated how many had suffered and died because she hadn't stopped Ivar, because she hadn't been there to soothe his temper. She'd been so focused on her daughter that she'd neglected her husband's rage and paranoia.

And now they were dead. They were all dead.

And she simply couldn't take it.

Shit is getting real guys.
Y'all ready for the last chapters?
-Rhi