Part 4: Charlie

It was a slow night before they got the call. A break in at the Newman's Olympic Outfitters. Charlie had gone down with officer Lewis. He was young and new. And seems to be completely obsessed with my 18 year old daughter. He didn't like him but he put it aside as they had a job to do. He sent Lewis to enter from the back entry while he went through the front. The door handle looked like it had a sledge hammer taken to it.

He was quiet on his way in having shopped in store several times he knew the layout. Movement behind the register caught his eye almost immediately and he ducked behind a shelving unit before he could be seen, making his way closer. The figure was a female, skinny, about 5'5, and blonde from the looks of it. Too small and not enough muscle mass to do the damage on the front door. Someone else is here. But where? He glanced around making sure to keep her in sight just in case. The stock room door slammed open.

"Forks Police, put your hands up!" Lewis called. The girl did so but it was clear by the smirk on her face something was wrong. There's no one else up here but I didn't hear any sounds of a struggle from the back room and he made it too quickly. He didn't do a full search. He saw a glint of metal.

"Lewis, get down!" The kid dropped as the assailant's gun went off and he crawled to the front of the register.

"Listen, kids, you don't want to do this! It isn't too late to put the guns down. No one's gotten hurt." He called out.

"I don't think so, old man."

"Back up! Back up! We have shots fired at Newton's Outfitters." I heard Lewis speak loudly into his walkie. I dived for the kid rolling with him as the masked man shot at the desk. Before taking one myself. I heard the scream of a man as he collapsed in pain, it held a different pitch then the one who'd spoken before.

"Baby! Baby get up, we gotta go!"

"Stop shakin' me ya stupid bitch. That fucker got my leg. Robbie take'em out." The footsteps of Robbie were coming closer to us as the sound of the girl grunting in the effort to drag what must be her boyfriend out the back was heard. He was furious this little shoot out could have likely been avoided if Lewis had done his job as he was supposed to instead of rushing in without thinking. Several more shots were fired in our direction when finally we heard the sirens signaling back up had arrived. As 'Robbie' started moving towards the back door I saw Lewis stand thinking he could get a shot in without bothering to look for an opening. Damnit kid! Gun raised in my hand, I made my move to cover the kid while taking my shot. Both mine and 'Robbie's' guns going off. I heard as he grunted falling back against the door frame but my own focus was at my chest, where the red of my blood was beginning to blossom across my shirt. Breathing became difficult as I slid down the wall to see Deputy Mark Richards come in with another officer, guns raised as I heard shots fired somewhere outside before the squealing of tires and a crash.

"Chief? Chief Swan, you with me?"

"Here, Dep. My daughter. Call my daughtersss." I hissed as he pushed at my would my vision slowly blackening at the edge.

"Chief what happened? Hey come on, Chief keep your eyes open and talk to me."

"Came in, girl at. . . register. too small for damage. . . on door. Lewis. . . not. . . thorooo"

All went black.