Part 12: Bella's Arrival

Bella's POV

I cannot believe Charlie picked me up from the airport in the cruiser. People must have thought I was a criminal or something. So embarrassing! At least he didn't still have that ridiculous mustache that made him look like a complete creep. I could definitely see why mom left him. It wasn't just the creep-stache but him in general. Charlie was, what's a nice way to put it? Boring, Plain, Odd. God, was he weird. I mean he actually thought I wanted to be here, for him? Oh, please. I knew 'Granny' Helen must have left some kind of stipulations on the will for me. The old bitch never liked me or mom. I figured it probably had to do with me spending time with Charlie since I'm sure despite the Alzheimer's and how young I'd been she knew how much I hated Forks, it's not like I ever hid it.

I know the old bat was rich, it was the reason mom had been with Charlie in the first place. Mom had told me all about how she had overheard people in town talking about the Swan Inn property and when it would be sold off. She had heard them talk of how it was worth a fortune and when she met Charlie at First Beach it had seemed perfect. She figured he was looking for a way out and selling everything off. She spent months with him only to end up pregnant and find out that Charlie loved living in Forks. The man actually planned on spending his life in the sad little green town and taking care of his elderly parents instead of just putting them in a home. When their parents found out because they were eavesdropping, mom was pushed into marriage. Genevieve had ruined everything for mom.

Genevieve. Perfect, beautiful Genevieve. The genius. The model turned nurse. How the sickly girl on the verge of dying, her mom showed her in pictures had changed into that, she didn't know. I was the beautiful baby! I was the one mom wanted! The only one that wanted spoiled Genie was Charlie. It was completely unfair! 

~~~

Oh, God. He still lives here? He was even more pathetic than I thought. Charlie was probably still in love with mom. I snorted. He probably hasn't even changed the inside. The loser would probably die still in love with her and dreaming of her coming back. As if!

I walked in the front door leaving my bags in the cruiser knowing he'd bring them to my room and froze. The inside of the house looked as though it had been completely re-done. The floor's were a dark wood finish that was semi-glossy rather than the scratched pale orange wood, carpet and green linoleum of her childhood. Where a closed off kitchen with yellow cabinets and plasticky counter once was, there was now white cabinets and grey granite with an island open to the stairway hall and dining room. The wall between the dining and living rooms torn down and replaced by a pass through divider with wooden columns at either end and the same granite counter. The ugly brick of the fireplace replaced with wood and a marble surround.

What. The. Fuck.

~~~

They were bringing my 'new' truck. As I looked at it all I could think was how this man had spent who knows how much money on this fucking house and yet he gives me, his daughter, a piece of shit to drive. Are you kidding me? And don't even get me started on how he didn't do a damn thing with my room. Oh, wait I forgot, he replaced the windows and refinished the floor. As if that was something, I looked into his room! he'd combined it with that old storage space and given himself his own fucking bathroom! Did I have my own bathroom? No! I had to share with little Miss Perfect if she moved back in! and surprise, surprise there were clothes in her sofa bed storage thingy! At least I knew even Charlie liked me better than her. After all I had the bigger room and an actual bed while she was stuck in a little walk-in closet of a room with a little twin bed that doubled as a seat facing a desk. If that wasn't Charlie letting her know he wanted her gone, I was a damn giraffe!

"Bella, you remember Billy Black and his son Jake, don't you? And this is my god-daughter, Leah. She's friends with Genevieve, grew up together." Leah gave an almost sarcastic smile before ignoring her completely.

She looked at them putting a smile on her face. Was she honestly supposed to remember his loser friends and their kids? Or care about Genie? "Yea, you look . . . good."

"Still dancing. I'm glad you're finally here. Charlie here hasn't shut up about it since you told him you were coming." He had a smile on his face but I knew from mom that Billy hated her. I'll play this game for now.

"Alright, keep exaggerating and I'll roll you into the mud." Charlie said walking away.

"Not before I ram you in the ankles!" Billy spoke turning the wheelchair and going after him, the two of them play-fighting in the street as Leah watched from her own truck, a shiny, new red Chevy Silverado. I'm pretty sure the bitch did it to get me mad. Jake or Jacob introduced himself and mentioned we made mud pies as kids.

"Yea, right, I remember." I totally don't but you don't need to know that. "Are they always like this?"

"It's getting worse with old age." He chuckled a bit.

"Hmm." I hummed in agreement. "So my . . . sister moved back home?" Jacob's eyes glance at her from where they had moved to his dad for a bit.

"Yea." He almost seems to drag the word out and furrows his brow. He doesn't  like her either, does he? She smiles figuring she'll have someone to rant about Genie to.

"Kinda pathetic, don't you think?" She smiles flirtingly at him and bats her eyes not noticing how his hand starts shaking or Leah looking back at her, eyes narrowed. "Moving back in after all that success. She must have blown through the cash. A shame, really. Probably drugs." She whispers just loud enough so he'll be the only one to hear.

"Are you kidding?"

"No, I mean what else could she have spent it on? And with how skinny she is but eats whatever she wants? It's the only explanation." She says not having noticed his tone of disbelief at her words.

"Vee, moved back in after Charlie was shot! She did it to help him get better!" Bella steps back quickly as he seems to almost growl at her.

"Bella! Jake! Hey, what's going on?" She hadn't noticed Charlie and Billy come up to their side until they spoke. She's even more surprised when she notices Leah is somehow at Jake's side. How the hell did she get there?

"Jake, take a step back and breathe. Billy, I think we need to go."

"Wait a minute, now one of you tell me what's going on." Leah grabs hold of Jacob and starts pushing him to her car

"I think you need to have a little talk with your youngest, Uncle Charlie. Apparently, the only way for Vee to be as thin as she is or move in with you is for her to have blown through her cash using drugs." Charlie's face goes slack in shock before turning red.

"Bella, inside. Now!" He says glaring down at her, Billy doing the same from his wheelchair behind him.

"Charlie! They're the ones lying about you getting hurt on the job. I mean if you really were I'd know about it being your daughter! Are you really going to believe those liars over your own daughter? Besides I love Genie!" His eyes narrow. Jacob seems to push back at Leah to turn around at that and she flinches.

"Isabella Marie Swan, I said inside!" his voice is cold. "And before you open you're mouth again. Your sister called you and your mother multiple times even leaving several messages to let you know I was in the hospital and then to let you know I was alright."

All I could think. Shit.