Sage of Forest

Tetra had sat in one spot for one week, and for the first time in years, felt alone. For the first time in a month, she was without Link, her friend...no, her best friend, and she dearly missed him. It's been, to her, a week and some days, but in Hyrule, who knows how long it has been, and her Hero hasn't returned to her presence. Every day, her mind swam to the ideas that he is still out there, trying to save the world and her, or that he has abandoned the cause they began, or worse... But Tetra knew Link. He could not be defeated in mind, body, or soul, no matter what. Aryll was still missing, and as long as the little girl was in that state, Link will search.

But once he finds Aryll, could he retire from the task he was given. Link only had one goal, and that was saving Aryll. He does that, and he can go home a hero.

Tetra's "Princess Zelda" clothes felt weighted upon her now. She had all the time in the world to think of her situation, and his situation, and their situation, and everything pertaining to her and Link, only because she couldn't occupy her mind with something else. So she decided to focus on finding a way out of the room, but that failed instantly since the barrier must be broken from the outside. There weren't any secret passages either.

She tried entertaining herself, but that failed prematurely. Tetra was a pirate princess, not a peasant child. Music was the only success, but she could only hum and harmonize so long.

Sleeping was the occasional cure to her boredom, but like singing, it could only go so long.

So now, she stood, analyzing one of the mosaics of the sages. The one she picked was that of a child, younger than her. She had green hair, eyes, and clothing with fair skin, and for some reason, Tetra felt pity for the kid. Young, giant destiny, her world gets turned upside down, Tetra could relate.

She touched the green window, almost shedding a tear for the girl. Why is fate cruel to the ones destined to do great things? Why must a child, a young child, be thrown into fate's uncaring arms, and snuck away like a prisoner, used to his desires, then those aside?

Each burning question opened Tetra's newfound easily hurt emotions, and tears began to streak down her face as she leaned her head on the window in distress. At the same time, anger welled up inside. "Why, gods, just why? Why must we suffer while you sit and watch, never interfering unless something drastically happens?" She looked up to the heavens beyond the waters and banged her fist on the window. "What did Link do to deserve risking his life? What did I do to deserve risking my own life? What did Aryll do to deserve being kidnapped? IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ME, NOT HER! IT SHOULD'VE BEEN ME!"

"I gotta say, I never met the Zelda of my time, but if she had a mind like you, I'm lucky." Tetra turned around, forgetting that her sword was missing, and felt for it while looking at the speaker. She stopped foraging once she realized who the person was.

"You're... You're..."

The figure pointed up, behind Tetra, and nodded. "Her, yeah. Do not be afraid, I won't hurt you. The name is Saria, the Sage of Forest. Oh, and as for being a child, believe me, I'm way older than I look."

It took Tetra another moment to realize she's weaponless. "Link's grandma is named Saria."

"I know. I have watched over the descendants of Hyrule for hundreds of years, although you are the most interesting person yet. I can definitely see why."

Tetra quickly swallowed her tears and stepped slowly to the green child. "Are you a ghost?"

Saria shrugged. "Maybe, maybe not. I know I'm dead for sure, but whether I'm physically on this plane of existence or not, I don't know... Touch me and see." Tetra reached for the girl's shoulder, and actually felt the skin and bone that was there. Saria acknowledged it with a glance of her own. "Well, that's something. I'm back for the time being."