Earth and Fire

Link watched Medli practicing on her harp as he rested on the mountain of Dragon Roost. She was on a secluded part of the mountain only accessible by wings or grappling hooks, and luckily Link had one of those. He figured that she was trying out a new song, so he didn't want to disturb her, so it gave him time to think about other things.

His first thoughts went to his sister, Aryll, still within the clutches of Ganondorf. How could he have missed her? Was she still in the prison fortress, and probably heard his arrival, only to be left behind? If she wasn't there at all, then where in the Great Sea was she? Link could only imagine what Ganondorf could still be holding his sister for, and only one idea popped into his head.

Incentive.

That's why Ganondorf didn't swiftly kill him when he had the chance the first two times. The Master Sword was weakened, but Ganondorf let him live. But for why? What could Link "give" to Ganondorf in exchange for Aryll?

Then his thoughts went to Tetra, and he remembered the sad face he left behind to accomplish his mission above. But he wished she was here, whether as the pretty princess or the pretty petty pirate. What was she doing down there, all alone? Did she worry for him as he did for her? He really didn't know that, but he knew, although wouldn't admit it without some argument, that she had a big soft spot for him.

Maybe if he reunites with her, he will not have to coax it out of her. He smiled at the thought of her running into his arms, then smiled harder at the thought of her dropkicking him in high heels and a dress. She probably was practicing right now.

"Oh, Link! You're OK!"

Link stood up, snapping out of his violent daydreaming, and walked up to Medli. "Hey, Medli. I'm alright."

"You know, Prince Komali's been asking me all about your adventures, Link. I think he's a little jealous of you."

"Oh..."

"I can rest easy now that I've seen you safe and sound with my own eyes... Where is Tetra?"

Link did not prepare for this. He fished for a reasonable excuse. "Umm... Doing pirate things, I guess. We've split up to accomplish our own missions quicker."

"Oh, that's...great, I guess. Will you see her again?"

"Definitely."

Medli nodded. "That's great. Well, I'd better continue practicing so that I can be useful around here, too! Performing music like this is an important duty of an attendant." Medli closed her eyes and went back to strumming on her harp.

"Maybe I can help." Link reached into his pocket and pulled out the Wind Waker.

Medli opened her eyes and gasped. "Hey, is that the Wind Waker? Wow! Yes, I believe you can help. Will you conduct me?"

Link raised the baton. "Sure."

"I wonder how I'll do..." Medli closed her eyes again and waited for Link's cue.

Down, Down, Middle, Left, Right, Middle. "One, two, three, four, five, six, play."

Medli didn't play after hearing the notes from the Wind Waker but instead turned to the sea. It was silent for a few seconds. "Hmm... What a mysterious song... It sounds so...familiar... "

"How familiar?"

"It's almost as if something I've forgotten is trying...to be remembered..." Medli bowed her head. "Oh... I feel..." Medli suddenly began to fall, but Link was fast enough to catch her as the girl blacked out.

Link had a hunch of what was happening.

.........

"Medli, awaken."