Road Trip With Aliens

After a few minutes of wildly packing anything that can fit in Spencer's suitcase we set off, him only checking in with the doorman to every so often look in his apartment to check it doesn't set on fire or anything, which happens often. Believe me, I know - I'm never letting a jar of raspberry jam in the vicinity of my ex boyfriend ever again.

I hail a taxi to take us to the airport and we sit up straight in the back of the cab, pretending to check our phones. I can tell he's pretending, cuz whenever he's attempting to be secretive his eyes flicker at me then back down at his phone - let's be real, Spencer Shay is the most obvious person I've ever met.

The cab arrives at the airport and we both get out, me helping Spencer with his large suitcase. I pay the driver and we enter the building, which of course for an evening is bustling with arguing adults and crying babies and people shouting down the phone to be heard.
I cover my ears, leaning into Spencer.
"Uhh, no!!"
He covers my own hands with his and the noise is more muffled. I watch people go by us, tugging along their bags or their children who weigh a lot more when they're being annoying. I realise we have to get a move on to catch the next flight to Hollywood or Venice Beach so I look up at Spencer and clear my throat, barely hearing myself through the ear covers and the general hubbub.
Spencer himself looks around baffled, then takes one hand away from one ear to grip his suitcase and motions for me to put my hand off the other ear and onto my suitcase. I myself hadn't packed much: just my costumes for the gigs, some underwear for each night we're there (excluding the bra - I'm wearing it, there's no point in having another one I'm probably not gonna use), and random pieces of clothing I can mix and match. I've learned to travel light.

The two of us set off to the booking desk with our suitcases and our bags clipped onto them, different hands over both my ears. It's odd to feel Spencer's hand over my ear again - I can't believe he still remembers that I hate loud noise; he couldn't even remember our dates - I forgot that it felt very warm and protective and made me smile at him being calming.
Woah, Y/N, calm down - you're here to take down a gank, not get back together with your old boyfriend!

At the booking desk I smile and, with hands gradually being taken off my ears to the sight of me wincing, book and take tickets to get to LA. The last ones available, but on the opposite ends of the plane. When we get the tickets with the seat numbers I look up at Spencer beside me and almost laugh out loud how disappointed he looks. Guess he'll have to talk to strangers then! I'm always fine on planes: I've been on them enough in the past few years to know to always get the window seat, which I am thankfully able to have; when needing the toilet you should balance on the tops of the seats so as not to annoy anyone and simultaneously entertain the kiddies and keep them from screaming at the sound of their ears popping; never order airplane food because it's always bland and tasteless; and always get a bag from Duty-Free to stuff all your food and overflow from suitcase in because they normally don't count it as weight.

We thank the receptionist politely and line up at the end of a very long line for suitcases. As we wait we tap on our phones again, every so often peeking at each other subtly - well, as subtly as Spencer can be.
When we get to the front of the line the man behind the desk takes our stuff and smiles. I smile back, a little flirty, just to feel the satisfaction of seeing out the corner of my eye a frown slightly brewing on Spencer's face. He always was overly protective around guys, and it's always funny to wind him up about it even now.

It doesn't take long for us to board the plane as we booked the earliest flight, and so when my stomach growls Spencer glances at me, still deliciously a little peeved about the flirty smile, and mentions McDonald's.
"Oh my God, yes please!" I reply with longing, and we dash to the closest kiosk and order a McNugget Share Box. Spencer pays, seeing as I paid for both our tickets.
As we set off on the route to the plane door, Spencer mumbles through a nugget, "Anyway, I know you - you'd eat all of them anyway, so I'd just be left with the fries."
Nugget in my mouth I scoff. "How would you know anything about me? It's been years since we've seen each other; everything about me might have changed!"
He narrows his eyes at me, the brown in them glinting mischievously as the skin around them crinkle as if he were laughing at me.
"Sure, you might have changed, you might have become this awesome stretchy bendy Elastigirl woman, but I know you're still not that type of girl to go changing everything about yourself."
Still walking I cross my arms, the nugget box waving beside me in my hand.
"So what type of stuff have I not been 'that girl' enough to change?" I press on, and he swallows the last bit of chicken and chuckles. I look down at his chest, the half-dirty shirt covering the bare chest I remember dripping my hands over the first night we met.
Uhm, hey Y/N, why do you remember this?