So Close, Yet So Confusing

We leave our stuff - apart from Sam's travel cutlery set, apparently she has 'unfinished business of the chicken kind' - at the apartment and get in the car and set off for the abandoned buildings near Aloha Burger, Spencer and I refusing to look at each other due to whatever we did last night.

Well, as much as he refuses I can still see him glancing at me. This man seriously needs to work on his subtlety.

When we get to Aloha Burger I park the car and the four of us get out.
Sam dances round the car to get ready for what she hopes is an ensuing battle; Cat watches her and wraps her arms round herself in comfort; Spencer yawns and smiles awkwardly at me; I lock the car and pretend to not see Spencer's smile.

Sam stops spinning and lands next to Cat. "So," she rubs her hands together in glee, "what's the plan, Y/N? You've always got one up your sleeve."
Never willing to give up that reputation, I bring out my phone to show them the plan I wrote out at our pit-stops.
"So there are three abandoned houses, and four of us, right?" I look at them, and thankfully they're keeping up so far. "Now, I've evaluated all our strengths both separately and together, and I've figured that if Cat and Spencer were together, it would mean there is less of a chance of Nora getting them both if they got her house, seeing as the both of you would look out for each other but don't necessarily have the same... skills... as Sam and I."

"What does that mean?" Cat asks solemnly, and Spencer crosses his arms with all the petulance of a child.
"Yeah, Y/N, what does that mean?"
I sigh mournfully - we do not have time for this.
"It means that Sam and I have been trained somewhat to fight and make use of all of our body, whilst you two..."
I trail off, not sure what else to say that can convey in the nicest way possible they're not equipped to face a psychopath.
I press my phone sleep button and say brightly, "So! Sam, go to the one on the right; Cat and Spencer, go to the one down Giggeley Street; I'll go to the one round the corner of Apfel Lane. Ready?"
Everyone nods, faces set and determined.

"Let's go!"

Everyone spreads out, each going their set ways. Apfel Lane is a ways further than the abandoned house on the right I assigned Sam to, so we jog to hers together then I go on ahead.
"Wait!" I hear behind me, and I turn back to see Spencer surprisingly waving at me. He opens his big mouth again and shouts, "Good luck - us two will need it!"
Against rationality I stop and smile at him, though he obviously can't see it from this far away. It's a warm smile; the sort of smile that you don't realise is happening until you can feel the corners of your mouth touching your ears.
"Y/N, you're giggling."
I stare at Sam. "Am I?" I ask, then realise I had to take a big breath before saying that as I had, in fact, been giggling.
Sam puts a hand on her hip and brings the other to her chin.
"Yanno, I think I remember the last time I saw you giggling. Yeah, I think it was that time all of us were in the Groovy Smoothie, me and you and Carly and Freddie and Spencer, and Spencer had kissed you out of the blue and booped your nose, and you started giggling..."

I tune out to the rest. I'm too focused on my new dawning realisation.
Really I should've noticed it sooner, but now I look back I didn't want to think that. Especially when I know that's what Nevel meant.

Crap. I'm still in love with Spencer sodding Shay!

When I come back to the present after Lawd knows how many minutes, Sam has already started exploring inside her designated house, so I begin jogging in a daze to my designated house.

I'm still not focusing. I'm just thinking how shocked I am at my revelation.
Denial, thou hast made a cruel mockery of me for making me believe I wasn't totally into Spencer when I have been unintentionally flirting, almost kissing, actually kissing, doing stuff with him for the past few days.