A Hop, Skip, And Scream Into The Abyss

When we get back to Sam and Cat's apartment to drop the girls off it's pitch black outside. Cat stares up and gasps at the inkiness of the sky. She turns to Sam.
"We can't go get Dice in this weather! What if Nora can camouflage herself? What if she's wearing black clothes? We can't Sam, we can't!" She's desperately clutching her friend's jacket and Sam looks trademark irritated, so carefully I reach out and tap her shoulder.
She whirls round to look at me with a vaguely worried look on her face. I pat the shoulder I've got my hand on and say as soothingly as I can, "We'll set off for the abandoned houses tomorrow Cat."
"Promise?"
"Promise."

"Uh, Y/N?" Spencer asks, and I glance at him, "Don't you remember your contortionist gig tomorrow?"
I blink at him, secretly impressed he remembered after forgetting virtually everything just earlier today.
I tilt my head. "Ye-ess, but... I mean, we're rescuing a child now, Spencer. We need to think of the bigger picture."
Sam tilts her own head at me. "You're in a contortionist group?" she asks doubtingly, looking me up and down. I tut - she doesn't believe us.

Quickly I lift one leg, point my toes, bring it up over to rest on my head, and spin once round. When I get back to centre, all three are staring at me impressed.
Bringing my leg down I ask in triumph, "Are we done asking silly questions now?" and everyone nods sheepishly.

I open the car door. "How about tonight we bring our stuff and stay at yours, then early tomorrow we can get up and find Dice and Nora, and then I get to my group?"
Everyone exchanges agreeing looks and Spencer nods.
"That sounds like a great idea!"
"Yeah!" Sam echoes, "but, where would you two sleep? We only have one bedroom and outside of that a sofa bed, and I'm guessing... since you two aren't..."

Spencer and I look at each other. As he communicates using his eyebrows that we would have had to do that anyway back at the motel, I start thinking about what Nevel Papperman said to me when we were alone.
'Sooner than you think.' What will be sooner? We'll start hating each other? We'll fall in love again? Even I, after the past few days accidentally drooling over him, will step up and say that I don't think Spencer and I will get back together. No matter how quirky he is, no matter how much he lets me take control of the situation, no matter how much we accidentally stare into each other's eyes, almost kiss each other, remember tiny things about one another, think the other is hot as anything...

I take a sudden breath and lick my lips, clapping my hands together.
"Well, we'll just lump it, won't we? It's the only logical thing to do, to find Dice quicker, to all be in the same place. So, I'll go back to the motel and get our stuff and sign out then come back here, okay? Spencer's clothes and my costumes are there, so we need those definitely."

Cat pipes up, "What about your clothes?" and Spencer and I glance at each other and fall silent.
"I'll come with you," he offers, ignoring the question, "it's not fair to leave you to get all my stuff."
I nod professionally, inwardly cursing - I'd hoped to get some alone time to think about what Nevel said.

Sam and Cat turn to go into their apartment block, shouting over their shoulder that they'll set up the sofa bed, and Spencer and I get into the car.
The sooner we find Nora and I can get as far away from Spencer and his irresistible charm and annoyance, the better.

●•●•●

It's dark. We came back about a half hour ago with our stuff, Sam and Cat showed us their apartment then went to bed, Spencer and I changed separately in the bathroom, and now we're at opposite sides of the sofa bed looking up at the ceiling.

Man, I wish I was asleep.
I know Spencer is cutting glances at me again, and right now I just want nothing to happen and for me to sleep so eventually I snap at him,
"Stop looking at me."
"You used to like it," he counters near me, and I snort decisively and tiredly.
"I also used to like flirting with only you. I guess from earlier today that's changed too."
I force his mind back to this morning when Hot Blonde Guy was smiling broadly in our motel room, and he harrumphs satisfyingly.