You Were Just Waiting For This To Happen

Spencer and I walk back to Sam's apartment and drive off, waving goodbye to my old friend and her new friend. She's a bit ditzy, that red-haired one - I'd worry if she ever came into contact with Nora what would happen; the poor girl wouldn't know what to do.

We drive to the bed and breakfast in silence, Spencer not-so-subtly glancing at me again and me daydreaming a little about what it would be like to see all my old friends at my old contortionist group. Our gig is tomorrow, and we haven't seen each other in years to even devise an act. I click my tongue impatiently at myself, keeping my eyes on the road but drifting off to work.

When we get to the bed and breakfast I get out after Spencer and wait behind him as he gets his door key in front of our new room, and he looks at me oddly with his floppy hair hanging a little limply from the recent sweat of walking.
He furrows his brows, and in turn I raise mine.
"We're forced to share a room now? Remember?"
Quick as a shot he opens his mouth and widens his eyes. "I totally forgot about that!"
I roll my eyes, exasperated already. "It seems you forget a lot of things Spencer. Just let me in please, so I can change and call my group."
"What group?"

"Oh my God!" I grab the keys out of his hand to open the door myself. Furious at how dumb Spencer is being and how frustrated I am at myself for being turned on by this man for two straight days, I unlock and storm through the room and find my bags on the floor. I undo my suitcase and bring out an oversized hooded sweatshirt and change into it, chucking my used shirt and jeans onto the floor including my bra which after a day of walking feels like heaven to take off. Now fully into my comfortable clothes I gather up my clothes into my arms and narrow my eyes at Spencer, who just watched me have a silent fight with my clothes and probably just accidentally saw me naked for the first time in years.

"Spencer!" I bark at him, and his head reels back a bit at my ferocity, "Get the drying rack! I know there's one here!"
He nods jerkily and rushes into the bathroom to collect one. I sigh, my temperament boiling. Why is he being so irritating? He wasn't like this when we were together, surely? Whatever it is, I hope he stops being so hot - I mean, so annoying, soon, because I need to focus on my work and my job.

Spencer comes back and sets up the drying rack, then offers to help me put them on it. Because I know he can do it I dump everything into his open arms and swing round to see my phone tossed onto the floor. Time to call my Hollywood team.

As I cross the room to kneel down and pick it up and walk to the bed, I hear Spencer sighing softly as he airs my clothes. In the middle of my tapping I pause, and Spencer takes the opportunity to talk, his voice still soft.

"I'm sorry I'm stupid and forgetful, Y/N."
Now I sigh softly, and turn to look at him.
"You're not stupid Spencer, I've told you often enough - you're just acting a little stupid right now, which isn't all the time, it's only now. Okay?"

He finishes laying out all my clothes on the dryer in silence with a sombre face, then goes without saying anything into the bathroom and closes the only door that can keep us apart. I cast my eyes downward; I didn't mean to make him upset, just make him feel a little guilty temporarily. I've always hated seeing him sad - I remember when he accidentally burned Carly's room down and Carly stared at him with me on his arm like he was the worst person in the world.

I know Spencer doesn't want to be accident-prone or goofy in serious times or piss me off. He just wants to be seen as the good person he is.

My ringtone snaps me out of my reverie, Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO, and I tap answer and hold the phone to my ear.
"Y/N? Is that you?"
I blink, and try to squeal with conviction. "Oh my God, Bella?! Oh my God!!"
"How are you girl? I haven't heard from you in what feels so long! So when are you coming to rehearse - and are you gonna bring along that charming boy you kept talking about last time we met?"
I pull my legs under my butt to get more comfortable and ignore the heat that's started to rise in the room. "Um, actually Bella, we... we didn't get back together. But we both came here together, cuz his little sister asked us to... go on an errand."