Chaper 1 (a) - A Fresh Start (Primrose Di Georgio)

Primrose Di Georgio's POV:

Standing outside Terminal 5's security at Heathrow Airport, Primrose gave her mum Hazel, a final hug and kiss goodbye. The past six years at Oxford had changed Primrose in so many positive and healthy ways, including turning her into a peripatetic. Whilst at university she took part in two exchange programmes in Tokyo and Sydney and spent her final year at Harvard. She also volunteered for the university's Christian Medic Society, where she sacrificed her holidays to dedicate her time in caring for children in some of the most dangerous and poorest parts of the world. With every adventure Primrose embarked on, she always booked a return ticket to London. However, this time was different. She would not be coming back in several weeks or months. She had only booked a one way ticket to Boston. She was leaving her life in London behind forever.

Primrose's flight took off bang on schedule, at exactly 21:45pm on Thursday. During takeoff Primrose cried heavily whilst she looked outside the window and gazed down at London with Adele's song 'Hometown Glory' playing in the back of her mind (Round my hometown, memories are fresh, round my hometown...). London was just as beautiful as New York City at night with the moon shining bright over the River Thames, the surrounding buildings all lit up and Tower Bridge beamed so bright like a star twinkling in the sky. Whilst Primrose appreciated the view she was staring at, her favourite view was of Grosvenor's Bridge; one of the most underrated views in London. 

Even though British Airways had an excellent in-flight entertainment service filled with a wide range selection of television series and brand-new movie releases, Primrose deliberately chose an overnight flight, so she could sleep. It was her lucky night, as the 300-seater Jumbo Jet only had 30 passengers on board. Primrose took advantage of the empty plane and slept on the four seats in the middle aisle. Primrose had slept for most of the 8 hour flight, until she was woken up by an air-stewardess who asked her to return to her original seat and attach her seat-belt in preparation for landing.

Primrose arrived at Boston Logan International Airport on Friday at 09:15am and spent a very long time with the Border Control Police Officers who went through all her paperwork and documentation in-depth, especially with her Visa, which they examined with a fine toothcomb. Despite working in the States being one of Primrose's main life goals, she never expected she'd move across the pond so quickly. Her original plan was to complete her foundation year at Kings College Hospital, the hospital she was born at, and then live in Melbourne or somewhere else in Australia for a year or two, before settling down in America. Countless doctors and nurses from the UK were making Australia their new home and it felt like a rite passage and only natural for Primrose to do the same, however it was not God's plan.

Primrose had been researching on a whim where else she could work as a newly qualified doctor apart from the UK, when she stumbled across Edenbrook Hospital's internship application form for international doctors. Edenbrook was a world-renowned hospital known for their excellent teaching, first-class care, their exclusive, unique and innovative surgeries and of course their elite diagnostic team; the best in the States. People flew from all over the globe to be treated by Doctor Ethan Ramsey, one of Primrose's medical heroes. Whilst Doctor Ramsey was not her inspiration in becoming a doctor; all the books and journals he published along with all the lectures and speeches he presented, guided Primrose throughout medical school and she swore she could feel his existence around Oxford, despite him being 3, 000 miles away. I have to apply to Edenbrook...Doctor Ramsey works there and I want to live in America. It's fate. Primrose thought to herself as she went through the application process.

The process was not as tough as others had posted online. Whilst it was lengthy, nothing was as challenging as the Oxbridge process; two entrance exams, a presentation and three panel interviews. Primrose passed the United States Medical licensing Exams with flying colours and became ECFMG certified. The most crucial stage was receiving letters of recommendation from doctors in the States and whilst Primrose was not short of them, she was confident that the lovely letter written by Doctor Lily Chen, the dean of Harvard Medical School secured her, her residency.