Chapter 2 (C) - Lifeline (Aurora Emery)

Aurora Emery's POV:

"Mesmerise Chapter 13, Aurora, your surgical knowledge is lacking" Harper Emery tells her niece Aurora Emery, as she hands her the 'Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine"

"But I am a medical intern, not a surgical intern"

"Aurora..." Harper snaps at her "...it doesn't matter whether or not you are practising in becoming a surgeon. Medical and surgical are interlinked and both must work together. You'll see as you advance in your career that a surgeon cannot work without a medical doctor. We are one team and the more you learn out of your speciality, the more knowledgeable and remarkable you shall be"

"Does it bother you that I chose to become a medical intern of a surgical one?" Aurora asks Harper intriguingly. This was a question, which played on Aurora's mind for several months. When she told Harper, she wanted to become a medical intern, Harper was pleased and happy for her. A bit too delighted for Aurora's liking. She wondered whether Harper was sincerely happy for her or glad that she wouldn't have to deal with Aurora all the time. Either way Aurora was sure, Harper was bit annoyed, as Harper loves control and power and if she had been Aurora's attending, she would have had more of hold on her. More of a hold than the moment, despite being her boss as Chief of Edenbrook and as her aunt.

"No, of course not. You have to follow your own path as a doctor, and I am sure you shall succeed in whatever field of medicine you choose to specialise in. Also, I am sure Doctor Ramsey shall have a tight leash around you" Aurora snapped her head back at hearing Ethan's name. He was Harper's ex-boyfriend, but Aurora had never met him. In-fact she still had not been introduced to him. Aurora always thought Harper and Ethan's relationship was weird. Harper had just told Aurora and the rest of the family she was in a relationship with Ethan but that was it. She didn't divulge further. She never shared pictures of the two together or anything about them; she kept everything tight-lipped and Ethan never came around to family events, but former boyfriends of Harper's always had done. Harper never spoke about Ethan in a loving way a girlfriend would, but only about how much of a great doctor he was. Aurora found it very strange when Ethan went to Rome on his own and Harper never went, despite having time off to go. It was a strange relationship; they were together, but not really. Now they are officially broken up ever since Ethan dumped her and Harper is his boss. Aurora thought she would be upset at Ethan for breaking her aunt's heart, but how could she be? They were never really in love.

"Great"

"Don't be like that Aurora. Doctor Ramsey is one of the best doctors in the States. You are lucky to be under his wing. Millions of people would kill to be in your shoes." Oh how, Aurora knew this. Harper made sure to remind her niece every morning at breakfast how lucky she was to have the life she has and to be in the position she is in. Aurora thought Harper was low-key making sly jabs at her and her awkward way of telling her that she was only at Edenbrook thanks to her and her parents.

It was always written in the stars for Aurora to become a doctor, as everyone in her family are doctors. Her mum is a paediatrician and her father is an obstetrician, however Aurora has never been maternal like her parents. She has no interest in caring for pregnant women, their babies and children, but as a medical intern she knew she was going to have to care for people of all ages, no matter how big or small they are.

"Now, Aurora, you need to be on your A game at all times, especially today"

"Why? What's so special about today?"

"Doctor Ramsey has paired you up with Doctor Di Georgio"

"So? It's only Primrose. What makes her so special?"

"Don't underestimate people, Aurora. That's always been your biggest problem, you always see and think the worst in them and think you are better than everyone else."