Chapter 2 (b) - Lifeline (Ethan)

Ethan's POV:

I'm there

Ethan arrived at Room 232 and stood in the doorway watching Primrose and an unnamed female intern treat Annie who appeared close to death. What the fuck has Di Georgio done now? Ethan didn't want to interrupt the moment and wanted to see how Primrose would handle another life and death situation without a senior doctor present. He watches her closely, as she orders the doctor to administer the epinephrine injection and intubate, whilst she carries on delivering the compressions. I've seen enough.

"What the HELL is going on here, Rookie?" Ethan screams at her from the doorway, as he approaches her. He startled her and she slightly jumped back. They stare at each other; her eyes are shining bright. Carry on the compressions, idiot

"My knight and shining armour is here" Primrose says, as she explodes in a massive grin. This girl is seriously weird and deluded. She honestly thinks I'm here to save the day yet again.

*Silence*

Ethan doesn't respond to what Primrose says and doesn't let on that he heard. Instead he lets her squirm in her spot. I don't want to embarrass her further. I have just begun my teaching and I don't want to add more lessons. Ethan waits for Primrose to say something, but she doesn't. Instead she carries on staring at Ethan. Right, she's going to learn the hard way.

"Well, what is all of this?" He glares at Primrose.

"There's no need to panic, Dr Ramsey. I've got it completely under control" Under the control? Don't make a laugh and I never panic.

"Excuse me...you call this under control? I dread to think what it must be like to be in your presence when things go wrong?" The thought of being around Primrose when she panics or when things go horribly wrong scares Ethan. He doesn't scare easily, but in this very moment, his mind wanders as his imagines what Primrose must have acted like before he and that unnamed female doctor got there. The thought genuinely terrifies him.

"I didn't mean it like that...I just meant that it wasn't under control but now it is. You came at the right time" Ethan can see Primrose trying desperately to smile and sound confident, but she doesn't deliver it well enough for Ethan to believe her. You're right girl, I did come at the right time for your sake. If I came seconds earlier, you wouldn't like what I would have said to you. They continue to stare at each other, Ethan laughs to himself, as he sees Primrose become more and more uncomfortable around him.

"What I'm trying to say Dr Ramsey is that I administered antibiotics that Annie was allergic to. Annie told me that she had no allergies..."

"Don't try and place blame on the patient..." Ethan cuts her off angrily. I can't believe what I am hearing. Is she seriously trying to blame Annie for her mistake? How dare she is. She is making me angrier as time goes on. Why does she have that affect on me? Primrose cuts off Ethan in a snappy tone. "I wasn't..." He can tell he has just irritated her, but he doesn't care. She needs help with her communication and how to explain properly herself properly.

Ethan holds up his hand to signal for Primrose to stop talking and she does. Good, she has already caught onto my mannerisms. "If you let me finish...patients might have allergies to a medication they don't know they have until they have it for the first time. What's important is that you as a doctor take responsibility for your actions."

"I am" You better be, or I'll make sure you regret it

"Good"

They both continue to stare at each other until Ethan tears his eyes off her and stares at Jackie. She's boring now and the other intern is interesting me. Deep down it took a lot of willpower for Ethan to stop gazing into Primrose's big eyes, even if he didn't want to admit it to himself. He could feel Primrose staring at him whilst he looked at the intern in awe and admiration. He was impressed with how quickly, effectively and confidently the intern was injecting Annie. I bet Primrose would have shaken like a leaf doing that injection. This intern can teach her some lessons in confidence. Why is she still staring at me? Is she jealous? She can't be, can she? She's probably jealous that I am admiring this intern and not her. The injection causes Annie to gasp for air.