Chapter 28

Chapter Aesthetics: 

He didn't come back for a long time

He didn't come back for a long time. A very long time- long enough to make me wonder if he'd bailed. Why had I kissed him? It was stupid of me to do that. One minute I hated him to the core and the next I was acting like everything was back to how it used to be. My mind was a mess.

Just as I was about to get up to go look for him he came back, he said nothing, just handed me a drink and sat down. 

"What took you so long?" I asked and he simply shook his head. He looked like he'd seen a ghost. I decided to ignore him and turned my attention back to the performances which were coming to a close. 

"Are we staying for dinner?" I asked. 

"If you want to," Colson replied, his voice raspy. 

"Well what do you want?" I didn't want to stay but at the same time I didn't want to leave and go back to real life. Back to the now. 

"Whatever you want," he replied. 

"Let's stay then." 

Both Taylor and Shawn were on our dinner table along with Chrissy and her husband John and a bunch of other faces my brain couldn't put names to.

Dinner was delicious and the influence of the champagne was slowly starting to wear off. Chrissy made conversation with me but Colson was completely spaced out the whole time. It was like he wasn't there. My brain couldn't help but go into override- was it the kiss? Of course it was the kiss, but it wasn't like we hadn't faked a kiss before. He'd done it to me plenty of times, why was this different? 

I shook my head of my spiraling thoughts and tuned back in to Taylor talking about her recent album and Shawn looking at me with concern. 

"Are you alright Camilla?" he asked and I nodded, I felt Colson glance over at me. 

"Do you want to leave?" he whispered in my ear and I shook my head. 

"Let's wait till we're done with dinner," I replied and he nodded. 

I went back to playing with the fancy food in my plate. Eventually dinner ended and we all got up to head to the hall where there would be more music and dancing. I wasn't in the mood for all of that, my social batteries had finally run out. 

"I'm gonna go say goodbye to Taylor and then let's leave," I said to Colson who nodded. I walked past the photographers and interviewers and just as I spotted Taylor in a crowd of people someone grabbed my hand. I turned around to find Shawn standing there with an award. 

"Look I won," he grinned and I extracted my hand from his. 

"I didn't think they were handing out awards at the festival," I replied, keeping an eye on Taylor so I didn't lose her- I wanted to finish talking to her about me and Colson, I had to tell her not to tell anyone.