An Opening

Time goes on and before they knew it, another year had flown by.

It's been three years since the brothers were separated and Luffy was placed in solitary confinement. And despite their best efforts, Ace and Sabo haven't had a single shred of luck in getting their youngest brother back.

Though they haven't given up, it was increasingly difficult to move, much less create an escape plan. Both children had stopped being worked as slaves about six months ago and were now simply low class prisoners which the guards would sometimes use to let off some steam. Although, due to their current state that hadn't happened in a long while either, being deemed un-fun and no longer entertaining to kick around.

Ace wanted to do nothing more than sink his teeth into one of those filthy rats who care to call themselves men.

Cowards! Ace hissed to himself, All of them! To afraid to fight against their captor so they take it out on people weaker than them to help them feel better! Cowardice lowlifes!

Sabo could take one look at Ace's eyes and know exactly what he was thinking. In fact, he was so good at this he could usually depict word for word what the his seething brother was saying in his children head. Ace was also able to tell what Sabo was thinking by a mere glance; when you get locked in a room with someone for two years you get to know a few things.

Both were weak from hunger and knew it was only their will and training that kept them alive all this time. Thank goodness for that, at least. Sabo thought tiredly. He sighed and looked over at Ace once more, who had more or less simmered down into a silent stupor.

He deemed Ace safe and stable enough to lean against and promptly flopped his head onto Ace's shoulder. Ace had a bit of a silent temper tantrum everyday at around the same time, Sabo was so used to it he now used it to tell the time when the sky was overcast or something blocked the light.

Ace glanced down at Sabo and cocked and eyebrow at him.

"What's wrong?" Ace asked gruffly, but not without concern.

"Tired. Imma sleep," Sabo murmured back, eyes falling into darkness as he allowed his heavy lids to close.

Ace sighed and looked ahead into the barred hallway. Ever since they'd stopped working they seemed to be fed less and less food. Ace was also a little tired from the hunger and lack of food, but Sabo seemed down right starved, and he didn't like it.

"Sabo, you didn't give me your rations again did you?" Ace asked seriously

When he got no reply, he looked down to see the blond already in a deep snooze, snoring slightly on his shoulder.

Ace sighed. He already knew the answer. Sabo had been managing to give Ace his food for a while now, and he knew it. At first Sabo would just convince him that he'd already eaten and that it was extra, but that rouse didn't last long before Ace called it out. And no matter how many times Ace told him to stop, he always came up with creative ways to fool him into taking the little bit of food.

But no matter the case, Sabo was starving and the side affects of it were perfectly clear. If they didn't get out of here soon or Sabo didn't stop this stupid game, he wouldn't have much time left before his little naps extended into permanent slumber.

Ace cursed under his breath and blamed himself for his brothers states. If only he had been stronger. If only Sabo didn't think he needed to take care of him. If only he wasn't so weak!

He looked down at Sabo again and made a promise that the second that he, Sabo, and Luffy were safe once more, he'd make sure they never had to worry again. He'd make sure to be strong enough for all three of them, and that way Sabo wouldn't have to worry about his health and he would be able to protect Luffy from ever getting taken from them again.