A Whitebeard Encounter

It was almost noon, and the three siblings sitting together on the figurehead of the Moby Dick could already smell like the amazing food that Thatch and his team were making for lunch.

Ace and Sabo waited eagerly for the bell to ring, announcing the meal was ready. Lunch may not have been one of the most formal meals on the ship, but it certainly didn't go under the radar.

Luffy was satisfied with what he'd eaten for breakfast, though he did question himself as to why at some point.

Somewhere in the far away memories of his mind he remembered a time when he ate as much as his brothers. Somewhere called Dawn Island.

He remembered Makino, though it was faint, and he'd been trying to bring back memories of the Dadan women ever since Sabo brought it up. He'd remember pieces of things, whether it was something truly unforgettable or something traumatic enough to stay close, they kept flashing by.

Luffy didn't at all mind the memories, especially over the ones of the ship that were usually forced upon his mind by that thing that was with him, however, he wished he knew more about it

"Hey, Sabo?" Luffy asked while still blankly staring out to sea.

Sabo turned from his conversation with Ace to address Luffy. "What's up Lu?"

"The last with the orange hair, the one from earlier, Dadan," Luffy said slowly, watching the waves as they lapped against the ship, "Would you tell me more about her?"

Ace instantly flashed a worried look at Sabo, and then confusion when he found Sabo smirking with a sad understanding.

"Sure," Sabo replied, moving a little closer to Luffy, "What do you wanna know?"

"Mmmm Just whatever," Luffy said casually.

Ace listened as Sabo began describing their life on Dawn Island, and was happy when Luffy sometimes lit up as he remembered certain events. But the raven was still concerned, and very confused as to why Sabo wasn't. Was this not new? Or was it nothing to worry about and he just didn't get it?

Sabo drabbled on about hunting and Grey Terminal and Makino's Party Bar, as well as all the adventures they had in the forest. He talked about the bandits and Dadan and how she was supposed to take care of them, and did a good job. But, the preferred their tree house.I

"You were pretty little back then, though, I'm not surprised you don't remember it much," Sabo announced , sending a look to Ace.

And suddenly Ace understood. Sabo was right. Luffy was really little all that time ago. Even though he couldn't remember all of it, no wonder Luffy hardly recalled it all. How could he? Especially after so much more had happened. So much to replace the pleasures with the horror of being a captive to the Dragons.

Luffy was happy talking about Dawn Island, and really liked the stories about Makino and everyone else from Fuusha. He had lived there most of the time after all.

Sabo's soft smile twitched down slightly as he got to the topic of their adoptive and biological grandfather.

"Do you remember Garp Luffy?" Sabo asked with slight distaste.

Luffy did remember that slightly, and had a fuzzy image to put to the name. He didn't know why, but he didn't like the name, it brought a bad taste to his mouth.

"A little," Luffy frowned.

"He was our 'grandpa'. Garp the fist. War hero," Sabo listed with a sigh, "He wanted us all to be marines just like him. No way did we agree to that."

Sabo smirked and looked at Luffy, "Bet he'd freak out if he saw us now."

Luffy giggled quietly. He was proud of becoming a pirate, however it had happened. He was still determined to be King, though.