Chapter 9

Ria

    It is the day of my engagement. Myra came over to my house earlier to get me ready, along with the help of another make-up artist. Myra was very pissed because of what had happened the other which was only forgiven by her when I treated her with her favourite snacks. Both of them made up my hairdo which was a messy low bun and put on my make up. I wore my jewellery and was ready to go. Myra made me stand in front of the mirror to have a look at myself. I looked...nice.

    "Babe! Aarush will not be able to control himself when he sees you. You look smoking hot! That blouse is damn sexy and thank god I came in to drape your saree. You were draping it as if you are some aunty! You should show off your curves! Now that that saree is draped lower, your waist is more visible to everyone. To think that you wanted to let your hair down makes no sense when you are wearing a blouse with a deep back. You look so damn pretty now. Go set the engagement hall on fire, queen!" 

    "Thanks, Myra. Thank you!" I thanked Myra and the make-up artist. 

    "It's my pleasure, miss. You are one of the most beautiful brides I have ever seen. You too Ms Myra."

     Myra escorted me down to the living room where my parents and a few of my relatives were waiting. My mumma had tears of joy in her eyes when she saw me. "You look very beautiful beta." 

     My papa smiled at me and caressed my cheek, " I can't believe that you are getting married. It seems like yesterday since you were born."

     "Mumma, Papa, I am not getting married today itself! Save all these sentiment talks for my bidaai," I said, making them chuckle. I walked over to my bua and bent down to greet her. "Arrey! My favourite niece greets me with a hug, come on, hug me! Look at you. You look very pretty," she kissed my cheek. I smiled at her. Then, I greeted Mr and Mrs Sharma, who were very excited; more than my parents. I walked over to my chacha and greeted him. When I bent down to greet my Chachi, she moved her feet away from my touch. Frowning, I looked up at her, to see her glaring at me. Frowning, I stood up and stared at her face.

    "I heard that you are still doing that stupid business of yours. When will you learn that you can't earn so much? I am surprised that your soon to be fiancé agreed to marry a second-hand person like you. However, it makes me happy that if someone like you can trap such a man, I can find better grooms for my daughter, Lila, who is definitely better than you. She is much more beautiful than you." 

   "And this is why you shouldn't maintain any relations with pigs," I say to my parents. I could hear gasps from my relatives while bua smirked at me. Myra was trying so hard to not burst out laughing. You could see her shaking due to holding her laughter. 

   "Look at you! Don't you know how to respect your elders? You are such a bitch!"

   "And you are such a sow. I respect those who respect me. Respect is earned. Not demanded. If you are not happy with me getting married having a second chance in life, I suggest you fuck out of my house."

   "Do you not have anything to say bhai sahab?" Chachi asks papa. 

   "You instigated my daughter, deal with it. Go on, my lioness!" 

   "Kamala! If you don't have anything nice to say, then keep your damn mouth shut!" said my Chacha, to which she rolled her eyes and stood aside. I greeted the rest of my relatives and exited the house, my parents and Myra following me. When I boarded the car, Myra hi-fied me. "Babe, you killed it!" My dad started to drive to the venue while Myra kept bickering about how Chachi would never bother me again.

    When we arrived at the venue, I got down the car and went inside. The decorations were on point. Just like Aarush and I had wanted. While waiting for Aarush and his family to arrive, I welcomed our guests and talked for a while with my cousins. Lila was also dressed in a saree, in the same colour as mine which infuriated me. This was not unexpected but I was surprised she would stoop so low in order to outshine me in my own engagement.