Icicle's Fate

Icicle was going to die and it would be all Hailstorm's fault. He watched the dragons dismiss as Queen Glacier walked over toward him. His head was down and she picked it up so he looked her straight in her eyes. "May I have a word?" Glacier asked him.

"Of course, Your Majesty," he answered. 

Queen Glacier looked at him dead in the eyes and asked, "Do you feel any guilt at all for killing Winter and maybe saving Icicle?"

He wasn't going to lie to be tough. She had done this to him, put him through all of this. She needed to know Hailstorm dispised of her. "YES! Why wouldn't I? Any dragon would have to be out of their MIND to not feel guilty about killing their sibling!" He pulled away from her grip and looked away from her. The he eyed her. "Just kill me as well."

Queen Glacier looked shocked. That was fine by Hailstorm, she needed someone to tell her she was just cruel. Queen Glacier has probably never heard someone be so rude to her. Hailstorm didn't care.

Winter may still be alive but no one but Hailstorm knew that. Besides, he didn't want to be here anymore. He wanted to runaway and be like Winter. He wanted to befriend other dragons and not live under such strict rules.

He hated the IceWing way.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I didn't want you to fight Winter, you have to know that. I didn't make the decision to put you last and Winter first before your hatching day. I'm sorry but what's done is done. I wish I could say more but I highly doubt I could relate to what you're going through," Queen Glacier claimed. He looked her in the eyes and stopped being angry.

She put up with a lot. Queen Glacier might have had a riot on her hands if she didn't do what she thought everyone wanted. She knew how to stay queen but Hailstorm highly doubted she enjoyed making certain decisions. 

He wouldn't want to make some of the choices she had to make.

"I know... I just need to vent and I chose the wrong place and the wrong time. I'm sorry, Your Majesty," Hailstorm apologized. "I'm sure you've suffered your own loses. It's just taking me too long to sort myself out."

"Take your time. If you need to vent, go kill a penguin next time," she said while smiling at him.

He nodded and bowed before walking off. He had roughly forty-five minutes to burn. Hailstorm would take her advise and go kill a penguin if he didn't see some high ranked IceWings walk up toward Queen Glacier. 

He wanted to know what they were talking about so he hid behind the bleachers and poked his head out enough to hear what thy were saying.

"You know, Icicle needs to die," an IceWing, sounded male, claimed.

"I believe Hailstorm made some vailed points on why Icicle needed to at least live, if not be freed. His argument was much stronger than Frost's," Queen Glacier stated.

"Frost didn't need more than what she had, she had won her argument in the first sentence," the male IceWing said. 

"It doesn't matter if she had 'won' within the first few sentences. She has to win the whole argument, not just the opening. Hailstorm continued to back up his points and spoke with confidence. Frost was not motivated," Queen Glacier countered.

"Mother, I will challenge you for the throne if you don't kill Icicle," a young female IceWing stated. That must have been Snowfall, she wanted the throne too badly.

Snowfall knew what she was doing. She didn't take the fall like Queen Glacier did but was nasty enough to make Queen Glacier uneager to hand the throne over to her daughter. Not to mention Princess Snowfall was taking out competition. 

"I can beat you," Queen Glacier snorted.

"Don't be so sure. You see, I get bigger and stronger each day. You get weaker and more fragile each day. One day, I'll beat you," Princess Snowfall huffed.

Hailstorm didn't hear Queen Glacier's answer. Queen Glacier clearly wanted Icicle to live.

He remembered Icicle was on the stage, closer to them. She must have heard every word and she must know her fate already. Icicle was right there when he fate was sealed. If Icicle was going to die, Hailstorm wouldn't let that happen. If she was imprisoned, then Hailstorm will visit her everyday. If she's freed, Hailstorm will look after her.

He wasn't going to let another one of his siblings leave him. He needed them.

Icicle was scared before but she must be even more scared now. Hailstorm wanted to comfort her but he would get seen by the other IceWings. If they thought he heard what they said to Queen Glacier, they will most likely kill him.

He watched them walk away. He should comfort the queen and his sister. Who knew IceWings had so much drama?

Hailstorm got up and walked over to Icicle. She hated hugs but he hugged her anyway. He knew Queen Glacier was staring at him but he didn't care. Icicle needed to know Hailstorm tried and he loved her.

To his surprise, Icicle leaned into him. She never showed affection but when death was threatening you, anyone could change in an instant.

"So, I assume you at least heard most of that," Queen Glacier guessed. Hailstorm nodded.

They didn't exchange any words, but sat in silence. They all had each other's backs and nothing would change that. It seemed Queen Glacier and Icicle had a soft spot that Hailstorm had finally found in both of them. 

The crowd began to fill into the bleachers and Hailstorm stood up quickly. Frost took her place on the other side of the stage, glaring at Hailstorm. When the seats had filled up, Glacier took her place.

Hailstorm's heart pounded. Maybe she'd think this through and take the heat for letting Icicle live. Queen Glacier made it clear where she stood and Glacier was stubborn. Surely, Icicle had to live, right?

"Hello again everyone," Queen Glacier said. "As you all know, Princess Icicle was convicted of murder at Jade Mountain Academy. Prince Hailstorm defended Princess Icicle and Frost argued for her execution. I have reached a decision and that is..." Hailstorm held his breath. "...Icicle will be executed tomorrow at sunrise."