Home

Icicle stood up but fell over. Winter rushed to her side and caught her. He let Icicle rest her weight on him.

"Thanks," Icicle growled. She said thanks?

"Yeah, any day," Winter claimed. He let her rest on him and she tried to stand up. She fell over onto Winter again.

"Icicle, what's the last thing you remember?" Hailstorm asked.

Icicle responded, "I remember talking to Winter..." she frowned at Winter. "Then I was dream- visited by Scarlet. She told me to meet an associate of hers on a mountain near Jade Mountain Academy. Next thing I knew, I was in the rainforest. I walked to the NightWing's island hoping Scarlet couldn't find me. Then a few bits of my trial and flying with Hailstorm here. Meeting Winter and then... I don't remember. Everything is in bits and pieces."

Winter looked at Hailstorm. Icicle had experienced another type of controlling animus magic. Scarlet's abilities on her were limited because Scarlet didn't want them to wonder what had happened to Icicle. If she seemed normal, no one would expect Scarlet to be inside her.

How had Hailstorm not realized?

How had Winter not realized?

"Winter," Hailstorm growled. "Are you also enchanted by Scarlet's minion not to notice Icicle being... different?"

"I'm not enchanted! I would know if I was, I can sense animus magic. When we neared Foeslayer, all I could feel was the animus magic pulsing through my veins. Besides, I had no reason to be suspicious. The war was over, Hailstorm. You missed it and you all missed all the vengeance killing! I just assumed Icicle had fallen into the same circle. I didn't think much of it, and I suspect you didn't either," Winter snapped. "Besides, isn't that your job as the oldest? That's what you've always told me!"

Hailstorm was silent. He had nothing to say, not even a weak excuse. Winter was right, he missed everything they've been through and it wasn't right to judge them for that.

"Like you said, I was gone. How was I supposed to know?" Hailstorm retorted.

Winter opened his mouth when Icicle roared a cuss word. She continued, "Stop bickering uselessly like a bunch of dragon bite vipers and give me some answers!"

"I'll help her here. Go home, Hailstorm. You've been gone too long and they'll get suspicious. Besides, if I'm catching her up, you won't be of too much use," Winter calmly said. He was right but Hailstorm would never tell him that.

Hailstorm sighed and nodded as he leaped into the sky. He flew home in silence, not a good silence. It was the kind of silence that made you want to let out every emotion on the continent of Pyrrhia. He wished he could've runaway with Icicle and Winter. 

Winter was right, though. He had been gone too long. Even if he had runaway, he would've still been annoyed. One reason was because it was his siblings and two was that he hadn't even figured himself out from the whole Pyrite- experience. Who knows how'd long it take for Icicle and himself to recover. Another reason they shouldn't be near each other.

The sun behind him and he realized he'd have to make up one of the longest, most believable excuses possible to get away without a second thought. His parents probably already thought he was a traitor.

Hailstorm sighed. There was no getting out of trouble now.

He just continued to fly home and hoped his parents would believe him. If they didn't, well, he may be exiled or executed. Bonus, no one could save him!

Hailstorm rolled his eyes at himself as he approached the humongous ice castle. It towered over him and he was a little scared. How did anyone navigate it?

"Towered". Haha! Such a dragonet joke but Hailstorm was laughing at himself anyway. Who knew laughing relieved so much of the pain he had tucked away.

Hailstorm dove into his room window and not a moment too soon. His parents walked in.

"Hailstorm, naughty Hailstorm," his mother growled.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" Narwhal shouted. If looks could kill, Hailstorm would've been dead five times over.

"Looking for my sister. I had woken up early to see her one last time but I heard a bunch of dragons say she was gone. So without thinking, I took off. I thought she couldn't have gotten that far but I was wrong. I went to the very edge of the Ice Kingdom and back, checking every cave and ravine. Nothing," Hailstorm lied.

"Next time, say something, son. Everyone blamed you for her escape," Tundra snapped.

Hailstorm winced and replied, "I'm sorry. I didn't think--"

Narwhal cut him off, "That was the problem. You didn't think about anything."

His father's words cut worse than any wound he has experienced. It was a deep wound and the weapon he used was lodged in there still.

Without warning, Tundra blasted Hailstorm's window shut and exited. Narwhal went right behind her and shut the door. It clicked. Hailstorm was trapped in his own room for however long the punishment lasted. 

Scars heal but never fade. You could get over someone else's words but never be truly healed from them. Saying sorry was the equivalent of putting makeup on the scar, it only fades slightly. It never goes away, no matter how hard you try to make it.

He lied down in bed and stared at the ceiling. Everything was white and gray here. It was boring.

Hailstorm didn't feel like he was home. Sure, this was his bedroom and his parents were here but it didn't fell right. It didn't feel like Hailstorm belonged here. 

Hailstorm drifted off to a deep, relaxing sleep.