Chapter Twelve

Reader's POV:

I awoke to the sound of heavy rain pelting down against my bedroom window and sighed in content. I wasn't working today which meant I didn't have to venture out in this awful weather. I could just spend the entire duration of the day in bed, snuggled up with Lana. A soft smile graced my face at the thought of her and I rolled over in search of the other woman.

However, I was met with nothing but emptiness and my smile faltered when I remembered she didn't stay the night.
Last night was the first time I'd slept alone in like a month and I was missing her presence. It then occurred to me who had stayed over last night and why in gods name I allowed her too, and I groaned burying myself further under the covers. Shielding myself from the reality that awaited me on the other side of my bedroom door.

I didn't want to get out of bed and face my overbearing mother so I procrastinated as long as I could, just laying there thinking about a certain brunette. If I don't leave this room then last night didn't happen, I could continue living in this perfect bubble. But that could only last so long.

Suddenly my phone started vibrating and my hand blindly fumbled around on the bedside table until I located the device. My face practically lit up like a Christmas tree when I saw the caller I.D.

"Good morning baby." I kept my voice as quiet as I could so my mum wouldn't overhear.

"I didn't wake you did I?"

"Nope. I was already awake." I smiled turning onto my side.

"Good. I missed you last night."

"I missed you too. I'm sorry that you had to leave." I still felt really guilty that she had to go home last night. I felt even more guilty that I introduced her as someone I work with rather than my girlfriend, which is what I should have done. I could have at least introduced her as a friend.

"Don't apologise darling. I completely understand. You tell your mum when you're ready and if that isn't now, then that's ok." God, she was so sweet and understanding. What the hell did I do to deserve her?

"I promise I'll tell her soon. Thank you for being so understanding. I love you."

"I love you more." I always felt so giddy inside whenever I heard her say that.

Suddenly I heard my mum call my name and I groaned rolling my eyes as her irritating voice echoed throughout my apartment.

"Everything ok?" The brunette asked, concern evident in her voice.

"Just my mother. As much as I'd love to. I can't stay hidden in my room forever. Better go face the music." I threw back the covers, immediately greeted by the cold air as I stepped out of bed, almost as cold as my mum's heart.. almost.

"Okay darling, if you need anything call me."

"I will do, I love you." I smiled down at my phone, ending the call, and throwing my phone onto the bed, an exasperated sigh forcing its way out of my mouth. My name was called again, a little louder this time and I wrapped myself in my robe before heading out of my room.

"Good, you're up." My mum greeted me from the kitchen table, sipping a cup of coffee. She eyed me up and down, frowning slightly. "You couldn't have maybe gotten dressed?" She pushed her reading glasses back up her nose, eyes focusing back on her paper.

"You didn't give me chance." I muttered, grabbing a carton of orange juice from the fridge and pouring it into a glass. I took a sip, my back still turned to my mum.