21

I woke alone the next morning, still tangled up in the sheets, still completely naked. A moment of disorientation had me reaching around searching for Edward somewhere in the bed until I saw the note folded on his pillow.

Bella,

Went to visit Mother. They're only letting in immediate family for an hour each day; I thought you'd rather sleep than wait around for me. I'll be back by eleven.

I love you,

Edward

P.S. Waking up next to you this morning was heavenly. It was nearly impossible to leave.

I smiled to myself, folding the note back up. I hoped I would find him as happy when he returned, that his mother's condition hadn't worsened. Eventually, I dragged myself out of bed, washed up, and dressed. I felt lazy today, satiated and giddy. Maybe I was wrong to feel happy at a time like this, but...how could I not be?

I went down to the kitchen and started cooking. I doubted Edward had eaten anything before he left, without Mary around to cook. I had to wonder how she was as well, if Edward would be able to see her.

I was halfway finished when the front door opened and shut again. Edward's voice called out for me.

"In the kitchen!" I yelled in the general direction of the foyer. He appeared seconds later in the kitchen doorway. His loud, human footsteps proceeded him, refreshingly. He grinned at the sight of food.

"You're a godsend, Bella," he said, coming up to me where I stood at the stove and wrapping his arms around me from behind. His chin rested easily on my shoulder.

"How is your mother?" I didn't think he would be this happy if she hadn't improved, and I was right.

"She's much better," he said. Relief flooded his voice. "Her fever is down enough that she'd lucid. She talked to me the entire time asking after us. She's worried we're not eating enough here. I think she might recover, Bella."

I didn't look at him, afraid to see the hope in his eyes. I couldn't risk crushing it. "That's wonderful news. I told you she was strong," I said, infusing my voice with as much optimism as I could.

"I think everything might turn out all right," he sighed. "I can get back to work soon, and then...then we can start our life together properly."

I wanted to cry, but that wasn't an option. "Food's done," I said to distract him.

Edward told me all about his visit with his mother while we ate. I wanted him to be right, for Elizabeth to survive, but I also knew from Carlisle that she'd lingered on longer than her husband, trying to take care of her son...and that meant she wasn't nearly out of danger.

"Did you see Mary?" I asked, needing to change the subject again. I didn't know how long I could pretend for Edward.

"She's right next to mother," he said as his face fell. "She's not faring as well."

I didn't know there was room for more grief, but it somehow squeezed its way in. "It's all so horrible," I murmured.

"I know," he said softly. "But remember what you said – we still have each other."

"Right. That's the important thing," I agreed, forcing a smile again. Indeed, we did have each other – and hopefully, when this was over, I would return to my Edward. But he wouldn't have the same luxury, and I felt horribly guilty for it, even if there was nothing I could do to change it.

I cleared my throat, trying to chase away the awkward moment. "So, what would you like to do today?"

"Actually," he grinned roguishly, "I was thinking of a nap. I'm still tired from last night."