Epilogue

Epilogue

"What has you smiling like that?" Edward asked as I came out of the bathroom in our new home in northern Canada. We'd moved just two days ago and were still settling in. Charlie and Renee thought we'd left for college. I'd had to say my goodbyes to them already.

"You look relieved, almost," Edward went on.

"My period started," I told him, blushing. Menstruation was a topic we tended to avoid - it was uncomfortable on so many levels.

Edward raised an eyebrow. "You never seemed to consider it cause for celebration before."

I twisted my hands, feeling awkward. "It, uh...it means I'm not pregnant."

Comprehension flashed across his face before his expression turned unreadable. "Oh. I see."

I stood there fidgeting in the doorway, looking at him sitting on our bed. "Are you sad?" I finally asked. I was afraid this would be a disappointment to him.

"Sad that you're not pregnant? No, I have to say I'm relieved as well. I can't imagine two vampires trying to raise a human child. But I suppose I am sad for what I can never give you."

I forced myself to move, closing the distance between us. "You know all I need to be happy is you."

He smiled, reaching out to cup my cheek in his hand. "I can't imagine how that could possibly be so, but I'll take your word for it."

"Silly vampire," I sighed. "Don't you know you're all I ever wanted and more?"

He offered me a crooked grin. "Keep saying it. I'm sure it will get through my head one day."

"Are you positively sure you're ready?"

"Edward," I whined.

He held his arms up in surrender. "I just don't want you to have any regrets," he explained patiently.

"I'm completely certain," I promised. "Please, Edward. Waiting is just making me anxious."

"Very well," he nodded before stretching out beside me on the bed. "Carlisle will be listening outside, just in case - "

"I'm not worried," I interrupted, reaching out to touch his face, with my hands on each side, one last time before my world was changed forever. "I love you."

He kissed me softly, and I couldn't help but relax completely. "My brave little Bella. I'm glad I get to keep you."

He grabbed my hands in his, looking down at all 3 of the rings he gave me and pressed his lips to mine again before they moved to hover over my throat. My heart pounded harder as he placed a gentle kiss to my neck, sanctifying the act, and then his teeth broke through my skin.

I happily closed my eyes welcoming the darkness and pain, ready for my new life.