24

Carlisle returned after sunset and came straight to us, checking over Edward and Elizabeth.

"What's the prognosis?" I asked quietly to avoid waking them.

"It's not wonderful," Carlisle sighed as he removed his stethoscope. "Edward's condition appears to be mostly unchanged, but Mrs. Masen... Her lungs are worse. It sounds like there's more fluid there than yesterday. And her fever is higher."

"I think she's given up," I told him. His eyes were sorrowful but resigned, a darkening brown. He obviously hadn't taken time to hunt lately.

"It happens too often," he said. "As much as she's lost and stands to lose, I can imagine how easy it would be."

For a moment, he looked as though he was speaking from experience, and I wondered if he was remembering his first days as a vampire, how he'd unsuccessfully tried to destroy himself. Again, I marveled at the strength of character that had urged him to keep living, to help others, to withstand over two-hundred years of loneliness. As much as I mourned the loss of Edward's human life, a part of me was glad that he would be with Carlisle soon. No one as good as Carlisle deserved to be alone for so long.

"Have you considered leaving the hospital for a bit?" Carlisle suggested. "You won't help anyone by exhausting yourself."

I shook my head. "I can't, Carlisle." I'd had this argument before. "How can I go home to bed, knowing that he's here and I might lose him at any moment?"

"You might at least consider leaving for a few moments to obtain some decent food," he said ruefully. "What they have here smells so bad that I'm reluctant to feed it to the patients."

I laughed shakily. "I'll consider it." But we both knew I would never go.

With Carlisle back, I relaxed a little, and I was able to sleep again. I woke several times during the night, my body aching with stiffness from the hard chair. I would stretch out the kinks and soon sleep would find me again. I was so tired that it was inevitable.

Close to dawn, a strange, rattling sound kept me from drifting to sleep again. I looked around for the source until I realized it was Elizabeth. Her breath was the sound as the fluid in her lungs hindered the flow of air. I winced as I caught sight of her pained eyes.

"Is there anything I can do?" I whispered to her.

Her head shook and she struggled to speak. "There's nothing to be done now."

The knowledge that she was absolutely right settled on my shoulders like a lead weight.

The day that followed brought no improvements. Edward's skin grew even hotter, in spite of the constant care I tried to give him. I'd known all along that he would likely be unable to withstand the disease, that perhaps he wasn't supposed to overcome it, but I hadn't been at all prepared for him to waste away before my eyes.

I tried to tend to Elizabeth as well, but she continually pushed me away. "Take care of Edward," she insisted repeatedly. I wanted to urge her not to give up, but how could I argue with a mother's love?

Nevertheless, Edward continued to worsen as sunset approached.

I had slumped to the floor to rest a moment, laying my head down on the side of Edward's cot, when I heard Elizabeth struggling to speak again.

"Dr. Cullen..."

I froze, not looking up. I wanted to hear what she would say to Carlisle, and some instinct told me not to interrupt.

"Mrs. Masen?"

"Save him!" It was the strongest her voice had been all day, but anyone could hear what it cost her.