Puff Piece

After discussing and beating the Sebastian plan to death with Austin and Ryan, I knew I needed some Sawyer time. I knew I needed a few hours to not think about Rory, Annabeth, my mother, my wedding, or our house. 

Ryan was reluctant to let me wander around anywhere alone so I decided I would go help the team that was building the Sweeney's Founder's Day float. I could spend hours mindlessly cutting up craft paper and Ryan would know exactly where I was and who I'd be with. 

After his brief text exchange this morning, I knew while I was at the barn he'd be meeting up with LulaBelle somewhere. He tucked a couple of folders under his arm and gave me a look that said, "Hands off." I respected his privacy but I was dying to know what the information was that he was hired to dig up. LulaBelle suspects something and I wish I could talk to someone about what I've overheard. I know Ryan would be none too pleased to hear that I was still dabbling in his business so I knew I had to keep this information to myself. 

When I arrived at the massive empty barn that houses both the Sweeney's and Samuel's floats, I find Millie Hayward in jean shorts and a button-down dishing out tasks. Two trailers are tucked inside the barn, but currently only one of them has a crew around it. My mother always outsources our float's design but it's supposed to be executed by the families themselves. We've been paying to have it done since I graduated high school. 

"So the Samuels hired help as well then," I ask Millie and she nods. She turns around I notice some high schoolers creating a massive paper machè baseball bat in the middle of the trailer.

"The Samuels are exploiting Tate's career. They are going with a whole baseball theme this year," Millie replies with a lack of enthusiasm.   

"I think we've done a civil war theme every year to blend with our costumes," I reply with an equal lack of enthusiasm. She tosses one of her blonde french braids behind her as she says, "But that makes sense. Y'all are still livin' off your contribution to the war."

"I guess it is hard to get creative with gun powder," I say plainly and she shrugs. Millie always volunteers to build the floats, but she never designs or rides on them. She glances to her clipboard to find my task and I ask, "If you could design the Sweeney float, what would you do?"

She suspiciously glances to me with her wide blue eyes before replying, "Are you actually asking or just curious?" I look over to the heaps of crepe paper and staple guns and reply, "I'm actually asking. We usually just cover the sides of the trailer with flowers while we stand on top in our costumes and wave. But if we were to actually build a structure, what would you do?"

She folds her arms while looking back to our empty trailer. She then looks over to the teens making progress on the bat and replies, "I would make a massive cannon, like an old-timey war cannon ya know? I'd put it right in the center and have it spray out confetti or candy or something."

"Like a massive party popper?" I ask her and she nods, "Yeah. I mean it's fun to watch all y'all pass by, but if you were to spray confetti or something around...it would really be a spectacle. And since you usually do a civil war float anyway...a cannon is kinda ideal on a Sweeney float."

"Do you know how to do that?"

Millie pops a shoulder up, "These Hollis High kids are pretty smart. I bet if I ask around I could pay one of them to come up with the mechanics."

"Do it. Let's do it. My mother will cover the extra hired help," I tell her and she snaps her gaze back to me, "I need something to focus on. I am willing to come down and help if you can get it designed."

"You are actually gonna help?" Millie asks with her questioning eyebrow raised. I think her feelings waiver with me, she hasn't fully ever decided if she likes me or not. I let out a laugh and reply, "Yes. I am actually going to help this year. Like I said, I need a hobby and this will do for the time being." She shrugs and then leads me over to a fold-out table covered in different types of scissors. She picks up a pair and says, "Mrs. Sweeney will still want the outside covered in flowers. You can start cutting those out." She then drops a template next to me and leaves me to get started.