Snoop

For the second time in a week, we sat in a circle and drank until we couldn't stand upright. We asked questions we didn't have answers to and debated over how to ask our mother this awful question. Does she know about his other family? 

We couldn't decide which would be worse, her knowing and not putting an end to it or her having absolutely no idea. 

Ryan and I decided to stay in our old room while Gus took the couch. I thought my brain would keep me up but the alcohol quickly dragged me into a deep sleep. 

I woke up with a pounding headache and the worst cotton mouth. Ryan was already up and had left a glass of water on the nightstand. I flop my arm across my face to shield the blinding sunlight and my brain slowly unfogs. I look down to see myself wrapped up in cream silk. A borrowed button-down pajama set of Margot's keeps me cool and the events of last night settle over me. 

Austin and I know we can't keep this to ourselves and act as if nothing has changed. We know we need to confront both our mother and father, but we have no idea how to. I drag myself to the bathroom and once I have brushed my teeth and washed my face I look to myself in the mirror. 

I look how I feel. My eyes are puffy from drinking, my face is blotchy from the lack of water and I look pale from the exhaustion. My hair is limp and could use a root touch up and my eyes convey how my soul feels. Dull.  

Ryan comes into the room and I see him streak by the bathroom door that I have cracked. I pull it open and look to him, dressed in borrowed running clothes. 

"Needed to go run off the remaining alcohol?" I ask him. 

He nods, "I needed to go run off the past month. I think I have aged 10 years in 10 days." I laugh as he slumps into the wicker chair they have pushed into the corner of the room. 

"I completely understand," I tell him. "I don't know where my to-do list starts anymore. I feel like I start down a path and then life is like, nope! Wrong direction." I cross the room to drop onto the edge of the bed and he looks me over. I see his face scrunch for a second before he says, "It's weird to see you in fancy silk pajamas."

"You prefer me in your old shirts?" I ask as I rub my hands down the blue silk. He nods and pushes himself off the chair. 

"Gus Ubered home last night. So we can leave whenever you are ready," he tells me and he starts gathering his clothing strewn around the room. 

"The only place to go is my mother's. I don't know if I am ready for that," I tell him. I can lounge in Margot's clothing, stay in bed and hide away from the world for a while. 

"We can go put some work in on our house, but all of my stuff is at your mother's. We'd need to make a stop there regardless," he tells me while he stuffs his clothes into the black leather duffle he borrowed from Austin. 

"Why? Just wear Austin's stuff. He has a whole J.Crew store upstairs," I tell Ryan but he frowns at me. 

"Sawyer, I don't mind running in and grabbing a handful of stuff to get us through the next couple of days, but your mother is going to be wondering why we suddenly up and left." He's finally done picking up the room and he turns around to face me. I tuck my knees up into my chest and wonder if I can act normal around my mother. I wonder if she has any club meet-ups today or if she went to town. I might be able to time it so we miss each other. 

"My mother might be doing Founder's Day stuff today. She might be out," I say as I push myself off the bed. I find my phone and quickly text her, asking when she was picking up our costumes- trying to be inconspicuous. Ryan is still standing near the door, waiting for me to change but I don't move. I glance to him as he says, "Your mother is horrible at checking her phone. You could be waiting for hours."