Playing with Fire

We were all hung over the next morning and unmotivated to go anywhere. I used it as an opportunity to online shop for things for our house. I prioritized a bed and bedding and was ecstatic to see the delivery date would be by Friday. Only a few more days until I could sleep in my own bed and in my own house. 

We realized the only thing we would be bringing into our new home was our clothing and a few personal items from our old rooms. Otherwise, we would be starting from scratch. I had a whole house to decorate and it did crush me that I had to delete all the nursery items I had put in the cart. A whole new round of sobbing burst through me as I did it quickly while refusing to linger on any item. I was glad to be alone for the first time since it happened to just process it more. Some day, this won't hurt so bad. 

 My mother still didn't approve of having internet in the house, so we only had the one computer in my dad's office where I could be tucked away and left alone to shop and cry in peace. Ryan pretty much gave me full control of the design, he just requested I choose practical things over decorative things. I know he isn't overly fond of my mother's expensive antique furniture and decor, so I decided to go comfy yet modern. I didn't want the dark woods and rich wallpapers. I wanted light and airy. Fresh and welcoming. 

Ryan eventually wanders in to check on me, carrying a plate with a slice of apple pie on it. 

"So do we get to take Celia with us?" Ryan jokes as he drops the warm gooey pie in front of me. As I lift the fork I look back to him, "I'm pretty sure my mother had Celia sign a contract that says she can't leave employment at this Sweeney residence until my mother dies." Ryan drops down into the massive leather chair in the corner of the office and stretches his legs out. He glances to my father's alcohol decanters and chokes back a gag. 

"I have lots of stuff in my cart. Do you need to review before I check out?" I ask him, giving him one more chance before my finger clicks the mouse. 

He shrugs, "Nope. I trust ya." I nod and then hit 'confirm'. As I dig into my pie, Ryan looks to me and says, "Ya know, I was thinking we need to get patio furniture. And probably a swing."  I nod in agreement and he adds, "I was also thinking we should check out some antique places and find some stuff to flip. Give us some projects to keep our minds busy." 

I flit my eyes to him, "I thought you weren't about frivolous antiques that don't provide any real function." 

"I'm not. We don't need hundred-year-old plates that no one is allowed to use. But we could probably find some tables or shelves that are still in good shape that we could flip to match our style." He suggests and I am actually on board. 

"I also still have that shed Tilly left me. I have no idea what is in it though. We might find some stuff in there," I tell him, having completely forgotten that I received that as part of my trust fund. 

"There is stuff we still need to figure out regarding that bed and breakfast too," he reminds me and I polish off what's left of the pie. I lean back into my father's leather upholstered banker's chair, "This is when we stop thinking about Rory and Kit and start thinking of what the hell we are doing from here on out," I tell him and he nods. 

"Our house and our wedding seem to be our main priorities," he tells me as he drops his hands behind his head. 

"I think I got my mother on board with an outdoor wedding. Less stuffy country club vibes," I tell him, feeling like discussing Southern Bride was forever ago instead of two days ago. "And I know you'll lose your mind sitting idle. So as much as we don't agree on going through A.B's stuff, you do need to keep finding clients," I remind him and he rolls his eyes. He pushes himself forward and comes to stand next to me. He slides his phone out of his pocket before saying, "Oh yeah, Gus got me A.B.'s cloud and router information. He can literally log onto his computer and do this himself but he insists she'll find out." He has me scoot over so he can stand in front of the computer. He hunches over the desk and starts typing away.