Good Times

I told Ryan to meet me on the roof when he was finished with Gus. They were huddled in the office when I got home, clearly digging into Annabeth's phone and I needed a minute away from everyone. I drew myself a bath and plunged myself to the bottom of the clawfoot basin, holding my breath for as long as physically possible. 

I want to scream in frustration. I know I have never been one to have many close girlfriends, but to lose my two best ones over a year is rough. Especially when I could use a shoulder to cry on. I have Ryan, but I can't emotionally dump myself onto him when he's already carrying a heavy load. I kept my circle close and now I realize why. I can't trust anyone. And I can't figure out the real reason she has such animosity towards me. Because I didn't tell her I was back in the states? Because I took a month to myself, after months of listening to her bash Gus and morph into a LulaBelle wannabe? I'm not allowed to have Sawyer time and relish my new marriage? 

Maybe Ryan is right. Maybe we've grown apart. We aren't drinkin' every weekend and gettin' up to no good around town. When Whitney left our group, she took Jackson with her and left me, Annabeth and Gus behind. And when Gus and Annabeth got together, the dynamics changed again. I thought having them romantically tied together was going to be a blessing, not a curse. Gus and I seem to be the only ones still standing, but our lives have been blown apart. 

And my father, where has he been? More absent than normal and I thought he was avoiding me because of the winery fiasco, but to miss Founder's Day? Something is up. I might be hiring my husband to get to the bottom of that one. 

After I am back in sweatpants and a Tennessee Vols tee, I make my way to the roof to wait for Ryan. I have a glass of Chardonnay in my hand but I left the bottle in the kitchen, to keep me sober. 

I finally hear my window slide up behind me and Ryan gracefully steps onto the roof. The setting sun takes some of the heat away, causing the sky to blush pink and he brings us a towel to sit on. 

"That took a bit longer than I thought," Ryan admits and I wonder if I should even ask. Do I want to know what just happened with Gus? He glances to me and grabs my head so it lays against his shoulder. 

"Tough day my love?" He asks me and I nod. We sit together, staring at the sunset in silence.  "You're unusually quiet."

"I just don't know where to start and if I even want to," I confess and he drops his head onto mine. 

"That's exactly how I feel right now," he mutters and I offer my wine to him. He shakes his head, "Gus and I had a whiskey. I'm cuttin' myself off." I pull away from him and sniff his lips. 

"Why yes you did," I tell him in shock, "You're not one to drink on the job."

He lets out a scoff, "This might be my last day as a P.I."

"What? I can't tell if you're being serious," I tell him, trying to maintain a light tone when inside, I am freaking out. 

"Dead serious. This whole thing just keeps leading from one dumpster fire to the next," he tells me and I see him glance to my wine. I offer it up to him again and he thinks about taking it from my fingertips but decides against it. 

"You found stuff on Annabeth?" I ask, now realizing, I absolutely need to know what was on her phone. 

He nods but doesn't say anything. I look to him, begging him to tell me but he stares at the horizon. He draws his knees up to rest his forearms against them, but he's in no rush for a conversation. Whatever he found must be bad. 

"How's Gus?" I decide to ask but he still doesn't move. Once again, thinking about how to deliver the blow. He's chewing on his lip and he does that when he's deep in thought. I nudge him with my elbow and run my hand through his thick sandy hair, "What happened?"