Dirty Little Secrets

I'm marching my way over to find an empty table when I feel someone's hand close around my arm, yanking me backward. My wide skirt has me stumbling, but I find Annabeth less than a foot from me. She snaps, "I'm not doing this anymore with you Sawyer. I'm not gonna let you treat me like shit anymore."

Stunned, I take a step away before replying, "I've been treating you like shit? How? I haven't seen you and you don't text me back! So who is the bad friend? Where the hell have you been during any of the traumatic events that have happened to me over that last few months, hell the last few days? You haven't been around since I got back from London and have been pissed since I married Ryan."

"Exactly! Since you met Ryan, you've been a shit friend. It's finally time I told you," she says with a pop of her chin. Even though we both look like gorgeous southern belles in the middle of Town Hall, I know we're both raging inside. The corset is restricting my breathing but I can see the lace that covers her chest flutter with every heavy breath she takes. 

"Ha! Wow Annabeth. Really? Just gonna skim past that you've been AWOL for weeks. Fine then. Well...you've been a shit friend since you got with Gus. I honestly thought putting you two together would be some epic love story, I had no idea it was going to be my nightmare!"

"Oh, so I have you to thank for putting us together now?" Annabeth says with an eye roll and I realize we are at the point of no return. Anything said will forever be out there. No more half-truths, no more secrets. It's all about to come out. In the middle of the dance floor, on Founder's day. 

"I did! At the Samuel's garden party! I dropped a line in your ear about Gus and gave Gus a little shove towards you. You only ever wanted a man from a wealthy family and I thought it was a great match, especially with how amazing Gus is!"

"Oh that's not why you pushed him towards me," She says, her face pink with anger. "Nuh-uh, you shoved him away from you! I'm not an idiot Sawyer, I know the father of my child has been in love with you since elementary school and you've never wanted him back. Don't act like you did some selfless act when it was the most selfish thing you've done! You're the reason Gus and I will never work!"

My eyes are wide as I snap, "That's bullshit Annabeth! You ruined your own relationship by never being satisfied! You treat Gus like a wallet and nothin' more. You only ever go to him when you need money. Planning your wedding was an eye-opening experience. I got to see you for the money-grubbing, power-hungry, social climber that you really are!" I know our raised voices have fellow dancers craning their heads toward us, but the spectacle we're making is hardly over. I didn't want to be talked about today but here I am and I don't think either of us cares that we're airing our dirty laundry for all of the town to see. I am more surprised that Ryan or Gus hasn't hauled us off the floor yet. 

Annabeth suddenly throws her head back and laughs, "Social climber! You almost married Lord Sebastian! And the only reason you didn't is because your hick-ass couldn't fit into their real high society! You might be Sawyer Sweeney, Hollis-Mississippi-southern-fucking-belle but nowhere else in the world do you matter! There is a reason you haven't left here and a reason you settled down here. You are nothing without your family's name and we both know your father has tarnished that!" 

I want to hit her, I really want to punch her in the face but I keep my hands to my sides. I know she said that last part a bit louder so the nosey listeners could hear. We must have suddenly gotten the boys' attention because I catch Gus running across the hall toward us. 

"The only reason you know about my father is because you were so desperate for friendship that you had to reach out to Whitney. Which you should know, couldn't stand you! She tried to get me to ditch you for years. So no, our friendship didn't end when I met Ryan, it did when y'alls started."