Level Failed

-Cara-

I hear my phone ding while I organize our most recent stock of cocaine. I look and see it's a text from Zoe. I pick up my phone.

Zoe - hey, can I ask you something?

I smile at how cautious she is.

Cara - maybe... ;)

It takes a few seconds for her to finish typing.

Zoe - I was just, wondering what we are? Like are we a thing? I'm just a little confused...

I stare at this text for awhile. A thing? We flirted and fucked, but a thing? I don't know how to be on a relationship. How am I supposed know how this works. I turn my phone off and put it back in my pocket. I continue organizing and I try to distract myself.

A few minutes later and I'm practically not doing any work. I just sit down on the floor, staring, bewildered, at this text. A few times I've tried to respond but I can't seem to finish my sentences.

I practically scream when my phone starts ringing. It's Zoe. I wait a little bit before I click accept.

"Hey..." I say sheepishly.

"Hey, sorry. Just when you didn't respond I was worried something happened. Everything okay?" Zoe asks me.

"Mm-hmm" I say with a squeaky pitch.

There is a long pause.

"So uh, did you see my-" Zoe starts, but I interrupt her.

"Hey, wanna go to the mall."

There is another pause and a quick sigh.

"Yeah sure, sounds fun. I'll pick you up in about an hour?" She suggest.

"Yeah, that'll be great." I say. She hangs up and I sigh in relief.

***

I am putting on a nice red top when I hear a knock on my door. I rush out of my room and go to the front door.

I open it and Zoe stands there. She smiles at me and I smile back. She is wearing a tee shirt and some jeans as well as some sunglasses.

"You ready to go?" She asks.

"Yep." I say taking her arm.

I get in the passengers side of her car. She has a roofless car that looks really fancy, but I don't know about cars so I can't tell. She pulls out of my driveway and we are on our way to the mall.

Once we pulls into the mall parking lot and get out, I take Zoe's arm again. She seems almost uncomfortable and she feels really tense. I rest my head against her and we keep walking in silence.

After a few excruciating hours of awkwardness at the mall we finally make our last stop at an ice cream place. Zoe gets chocolate and I of course get peppermint, seeing as it is the superior of all ice creams. I tell Zoe this and she smiles as we sit down.
"So..." she says, slowly raising a spoonful of ice cream to her mouth.
"So~" I say flirtatiously as I steal a spoonful of her ice cream. I know couple are flirty... right? I can definitely be flirty if I want to. Zoe looks at me confused.
"Something wrong?" I ask. I tap my fingers on the table nervously. Zoe sighs.
"You're just... confusing." She explains. I stop fiddling with my spoon and look at her.
"Confusing?" I question. Zoe takes awhile to put what she wants to say into words.
"You, I- it's just... you're flirty with me and yet, you don't seem to want to be with me, or even consider this a date?" She says. I just look down and fiddle with my fingers.

"Maybe I should go." She says getting up. I stay silent and keep staring at my thumbs. A few minutes pass and I finally get up. Maybe if I run I could still stop her. Maybe...

I start speed walking down the mall and then that turns into a jog, then a run. I reach the parking lot and see her in the distance looking at her phone as she walks to her car.
"Zoe!" I call to her and she turns around. I runs up to her.

"Zoe, I'm sorry. I know I'm confusing and I know I've kind of been blowing you off, but I just don't really do relationships." Wait, that came out wrong. "I mean, relationships aren't my thing. Wait no, that's not what-" I trip over my words flustered. Zoe just stands and waits for me to finish.
"I don't know how to be in a relationship, the whole girlfriends thing is new to me. Usually it's a fuck and leave kind of thing with me." Zoe takes a moment to process this all.
"Well, if you need time to figure it out... that's okay. But in the men's time, wanna head back to my place?" She asks. I bite my lip nervously and nod. Zoe reaches her hand out and I take it.