Game Over For Real

-Zoe-

I open my eyes and am practically blinded by the hospital lights. I turn to see Rachel trying to talk to Cara, who is curled up in a ball in a chair next to Rachel's. I try to open my mouth but something is strapped around my mouth. I guess it's probably to help me breath. I try to reach up to take it off but I'm not strong enough, what kind of meds am I on?

"Cara... the doctor said she is going to be fine, she will wake up soon and after awhile you guys can get out of here. Like you told me on the ride over, you guys can move out of LA and all the gang shit." Rachel tries to calm Cara down. I don't know exactly how I can tell them I'm awake I try to raise my hand up and a wire that it is attached too, knocks over something else on the floor. Cara looks over at me with a tear stained face. I turn my head more to look at her. She gets up and slowly walks over to me. She reaches her hand out and takes mine. Put fingers interlock.
"Don't ever, ever take a bullet for me... you scared me half to death." She states.
"I would do it again." I say, it's muffled through the breathing thing but I bet she understood. She sighs and gets on her knees so she's at my height. She smiles a little at me and a doctor comes in.
"Alright, we sensed movement so I'm guessing she's awake." He says. Rachel nods at him but Cara just rests her head against the bed and holds onto my hand tight.
"Alright Ms Holden," he pulls up and chair and starts to write on his clipboard, "when you were shot, two of your ribs were broken and they nearly collapsed your lung, but we stabilized you and you should be fine. Keep that wrap around your rib cage and although it will hurt, you should be fine in a few months to take it off. You may go as soon as the sleeping medication wears off. We will have a nurse wheelchair you out of here." He explains. I nod at him and he smiles as he walks off.

***

A little while later, my meds wear off and I'm being wheeled out of the hospital with Rachel and Cara by my side. I want to get up and walk by myself but I physically can't. I don't want Cara to see me weak like this. I am put into the passengers seat of Rachel's car and Cara gets in the back. Rachel drives off Cara's house. It seems to be fixed up a little bit. I'm wheeled in and everything seems to be put together as best it can. On the living room coffee table are bowls with popcorn packages in them, and there are m&m packs as wells as chocolate bars strewn about the table. The couch is covered with blankets and pillows and the tv has a selection of horror movies, one of them is the one that I took Cara too on our first... date?

"We thought you might want to watch a movie with us..." Rachel says excitedly. Cara smiles and nods.
"Hell, yeah. Horror movies are the best." I try to sound as normal and independent as possible.

Cara fun Rachel help me out of my chair and onto the couch, I'm supposed to be able to walk in a few days. We pick the same horror movie me and Cara watched on our date. Rachel makes popcorn and Cara sets up the movie as well as pulls the blankets over me, leaving some space for her.

No one really screams at the movie, like the first time, no one is scared because we are all in a gang, and we have seen scarier shit than this. Cara snuggles up closer to me and I flinch when she puts her arm across my two broke ribs. She quickly adjusts herself.
"I thought you didn't like snuggling and touching  and stuff like that?" I tease her quietly. She flicks the side of my head, "ow, I'm hurt, don't I deserve a break?" I joke. She sighs and kisses me on the cheek. We spend the rest of the night watching movies and playing stupid truth or dare game. I feel like I'm a freshman in high school again. I love Cara so much and I am so grateful for Rachel. It's a tough decision but I think I do want to move out of LA.