Abir

I park my car behind my mom's car. I haven't had the time to think about the threat. On one end, is my dear brother Kunal, whose heart I cannot ever break . On the other end is Mishti the girl whom I dearly love, who trusts me that I will never leave her like her parents did.  There is Parul Masi who has always taken take of me as her own child.  As I see the faces that will get affected by my decision, I cannot hold back the tears.  

"What happened son?" I get greeted by Mishti's badi ma and bade papa. They have trusted me so much.  I cannot break their trust.  

"Nothing. I'm just very excited to see you all. These are tears of happiness." I reply back. I see Mishti from the corner of my eyes, she looks like a Princess in that grey outfit. The smile on her face and the glow of her face exists because she loves me and knows that I love her.  My thoughts are broken by my mom who speaks to the family and tells them to settle down. Her eyes stare at me. How can my mom be so cruel to me? After all this time,  even Kunal has accepted Mishti, everyone in the family is happy for me, why is my mom so hateful and insecure towards Mishti.  I take a deep breath, my one decision will change my life, and I look at Mishti. She is my peace.  She looks at me and frowns. Perhaps, she knows that I am troubled. She looks at Badi Ma and says, "before we exchange the cards, I wish to say something."

"Of course Mishti, please speak." My Nanu smiles at her. 

"I promise to you all, I will always try my best that we have a beautiful relationship and that all relations prosper." She looks at Kunal  and speaks, " I honestly wish that we start our journey from the start."

"Of course Mishti, I want the same." Kunal replies. 

"I'd like to speak to Abir about something in private before we do the card exchange." Mishti looks at me and then at the elders for their approval. 

"Why Mishti? If you have something to say,  you should say in front of everyone. After all, we are family." My mom looks at her and speaks with her fake smile on.  

"No Aunty, I want to tell Abir something first and then to you all. So if you would.." Mishti tries.

"Of course Beta, Abir take Mishti outside, meanwhile, Parul , why don't you have the snacks and tea arranged for all." Nanu orders gently.

Parul masi was so tense that she wasn't able to hear it in the first attempt looked at me and pleaded with heavily teared eyes. 

"Parul?" 
"Yes bapu ji."
"Snacks and Tea." 
"Oh yes, I'll get it served right away."  Masi wiped off her tears quickly and went towards the kitche. 

As Mishti and I walk to the corridor, she looks at me and asks "Abir, what is the matter?" Her hands cup my face and she looks into my eyes. I bring her closer to me with my hand. I can smell the sweet fragrance of her body. Her grin turns into a shy smile. I kiss her forehead and then  hug her tightly.  The tears won't stop now. They drench the side of the Mishti's dress and her arms hug me tightly. "Abir, what is the matter?"

Mishti now knows something is not right. It is too late, I can't hide it anymore.  "You need to tell, what happened." She looks at me with her concern, trying to read the answer off my face. 

I take a deep breath and look at her. Do I tell her the truth or should I do as mom told me? Either way, I'm going to be hurt, either way I will be hurting someone in my family, hurting the family who has trusted me with their daughter. I look into her eyes, "Mishti there is something i need to tell you.  My mom threatened me that I break our relationship and this alliance or else she will reveal a family truth that will break my family apart."  Mishti looks at me, first with shear shock and then her eyes become confused. 

"Your mom asked you to break this alliance? But she, " Her thoughts stop, "What truth Abir?" 
I take a deep breath. If I tell this now, this will be the new turn. I cannot and will never be able to turn back the time and change this moment.  

"Abir?" 

"I got to know today that Kunal isn't my brother, he is my half brother, he is my dad's and Parul masi's biological son. Mom has threatened that she will inform the world and Kunal about his real identity."  

For a brief moment, I can feel her eyes thinking about something, but then she locks her eyes on me.  "Your mom told you this truth so that she can threaten you to leave me?"

"Yes! Anytime now, if I don't break up with you, mom will reveal the truth to Kunal. I don't know what to do Mishti." I feel so helpless and weak that I fall on my knees. My hands in Mishti's hands, her grip getting tighter as the truth sinks in.  

"Abir..." Mishti begins to speak but is stopped by the sound of a glass shattering in the right and what I feared the most had become the reality of my life. 

Do comment and vote. Please tell me if you are enjoying this and what you are liking about it. I'm open to criticism too. I would appreciate honest and constructive feedback.