Ketki

England is somewhat notorious for its fickle weather. I moved in three days ago, though just like Rajkot, days are longer and the sun is inching its way toward warm, something about the surroundings makes me feel at peace. I'm here only and only because of bhai. It was Abir bhaiya who convinced Maa and Papa that they should get serious about my higher studies, and to enroll me for the Master's Program. For the first time, a decision without Bua's consideration was taken by my parents.  I have never been this proud of my parents. But I wouldn't have been here if bhai hadn't stood up for me.  Abir bhai always stood up for the family. He had so many problems going on in his life, but he kept his sister a priority. He knew the value of education and understood my need to be independent. The last six months have been the toughest, not only because it was my last year of undergrad and it was difficult to convince my parents, but also because life wasn't how it had been for twenty-one years of my life.  Rajkot hasn't been the same since the family split.  

The white curtains hid the beautiful view. Lines of independent houses, each with beautiful gardens and outdoor swimming pools.  As I looked through the window, the two residents of the house left for a jog. It was six am.  

I quickly washed my face and brushed my teeth, took a warm shower and slipped into a flowery dress that I was gifted on my birthday. The house was huge but not as large as Rajvansh Sadan, I tiptoed downstairs towards the kitchen. 

"Good Morning," a cheerful smiled wished him, "Ketu!"

"Masi!" I hugged her, and smiled while she flipped the paranthas, "You are up early, jet lag is over?" 

"Yes Masi, it was merely five and a half hours!" I replied, though honestly I hadn't slept the whole week before coming here.

 There were regular disagreements between Abir bhai and Bua about where I would be staying. Bua didn't want me to live with Kunal bhai, who she thought had abandoned her and betrayed her.  But it wasn't bhai who had betrayed her, he just wanted to step out of the Rajvansh label and do something by himself, to be someone besides the surname that wasn't his.  It had been a tiresome week, where Bua refused to pay for my master's program. Papa had never bothered to save up money besides a joint account with Bua. There were these small things that annoyed me the most, we were dependent on Bua for everything, financially too.  Somehow Papa and Nanu convinced her that she shouldn't control me and let me study just like Abir bhai had studied. The discrimination I felt because I was a girl was nothing new, but truly it sucks to be a girl child in India, no matter if you are born in a poor family or a rich family. If your family is conservative, you are bound to be discriminated and if your family is liberal, then the society is bound to discriminate towards you. Either way,  a girl can feel pretty insignificant. Bua made me feel insignificant in the marriage alliance she got me into and so many other times. 

"Good!" Masi broke my thoughts, "I've made some potato paranthas." She handed me a plate with two and she put two in her place. "Come on, let's eat while the other two return from their jog." We sat down at the dining table, a simple wooden table. 

"Masi," I took a large bite, "I missed your paranthas so much. Mom doesn't know how to cook quite like you." 

"I thought someone would replace me..." She said sorrowfully. 

I shook my head, "you can never be replaced in that house."

She looked at her hand and gloomily looked up, "I was still just a servant. Ben Baa should have gotten a new cook." She looked at the paranthas, "Oh well, it's been six months, we don't talk about what happened much since we moved here." 

It was a series of events. First, Abir bhai left the house. By the next morning, Kunal bhai was missing too.  Parul Masi packed her suitcase and went to live with her sister, to reunite with her family in the other city. While Nanu knew about the whereabouts of bhai, he didn't tell anyone. Then after two days, Kunal bhai returned to hand over the company to Bua and to inform us that he couldn't stay here longer and will leave for Mumbai. It was a drastic step, Kuhu bhabs had returned to the house to pack their belongings. They both left that night, leaving everyone crying at the doorsteps of the Rajvansh Sadan. It was until much later when I got to know that Abir bhai and Kunal bhai were living in the Mishbir House. Atul bhai took me to meet them when he came for his winter vacation. They didn't want Bua to ever find out where the house was and we swore we wouldn't tell.