Jugnu Bhaiya

The temperature of the house was certainly higher than outside. Masi had spent the whole day crying and getting worried, though  it was unclear why. At night, Nanu had given a briefing to all of us so that all were aware of what had happened. Nanu considered me part of his family and that mattered a lot to me. I was grateful that I have a family, Rajvansh was my family. After knowing that Kunal was Parul Masi's son, whom she had willingly given to Meenakshi Rajvansh so that he lives a dignified life and doesn't get the label of an illegitimate child, I was overwhelmed with respect for Ben baa. She had such a big heart.  

 While the whole family became shock, my respect for Ben Baa had increased. She was a strict and sometimes scary woman, but she was caring and loving too.  I wanted to make her a little less angry so I went to her room asking her if she wanted something, I assumed she must be sad too but she was fuming.  She yelled at me and asked me to tell all the servants to keep calling Abir and Kunal, to update her if they returned. When they didn't come back, she ordered everyone to go look for them. Both the phones had been switched off, something that neither of them did.  My fellow friends and I went everywhere they could possibly be, but we also knew Abir Rajvansh, he was a wanderer so after searching in some prominent places, I told them if Abir bhaiya wanted us to find him, he would have located him by now.  So we went to friend's house to rest of the night.

In the early morning, we rushed back to Rajvansh Sadan. The morning began with Ben baa's sitar and ended with Masi bringing in tea for her. I witnessed it all as I was dusting her room.  I peeped through the window at both the women. No conversation and secret can escape my ears, but there were no conversation between them this morning. They didn't even bother to interact, Masi put the tea and left quietly.  I quickly moved out of the room, avoiding Ben Baa at any cost as she entered to the room. As soon as I reached downstairs, I got busy with cleaning the living room. The remaining of the morning went by smooth, but at lunch time, no one came downstairs to eat and all the food was delivered to their respective rooms.  It was rather a very quiet day, no Mami's uthi phuti english, no Mamu's work complaints, Ketku was rather too busy reading in the living room, while Parul Masi spent the whole day cleaning and cooking food. 

The house felt so quiet without its normal activities. Unable to bear the silence, I finally gave a call to bhaiya, hoping to hear from him.

"Bhaiya!" I spoke, whispering to avoid letting anyone know.

"Hi Jugnu!" Abir bhai replied. 

"Kunal bhaiya and you are alright? We have been so scared."

"We are fine, Jugnu," he replied, "we'll come back soon. How is Parul Masi? Nanu? I hope Maa didn't let her anger out at you."

"No no, bhaiya. Nanu is alright. He informed the entire family about Kunal and Parul Masi. Parul Masi, " i reiterated the how they didn't talk to each other, "and Ben baa, Hemant," the cleaner of the house, " informed me, that Ben Baa called up someone to print a card, maybe your marriage card, bhaiya?" I replied enthusiastically, hoping to cheer him up. 

"I doubt Maa would do that! I trust you Jugnu, be the eyes and ears for me in the house."

"Of course bhaiya," I nodded, "anything for you!" Abir bhaiya always trusted me, sometimes I secretly think he trusts me more than anyone else in the family. It was weird, I was barely a servant in the house, but he had always been so open to me, he shares things with me without the fear that it would spill out, without the fear of being judged and without the fear that I would be unhappy for him. Sure I made some mistakes, remembering some  innocent goofups i have made in the past. Abir bhaiya found a friend in me and I found a friend in him. It just sucked that we couldn't declare what we truly feel for each other, the friendship we have openly. I sighed. He'll always be the son of this reputed family and I'll remain a loyal servant of the Rajvansh.