Kuhu

As we entered the kitchen, I was struck with awe. It was a gorgeous modern kitchen with cabinets in the combination of bright white and fuchsia. The ember pendant lights added a third dimension to the two-tone color scheme. On top of the dining island, were two bowls with food that  Abir Bro had cooked.

"It's stunning, isn't it?" Kunal asked as he picked up the jug to take a sniff. 

"Yes," I replied back, "Beautiful."

Kunal sat on the white stool and poured the pineapple juice in two glasses,"thirsty?" 

"Thank you," a strange coarse whisper came out. I didn't know what more to speak about. Most of the times we are arguing over petty things. He was being generous and kind for the first time. Doubting his intentions, I didn't allow myself to melt by his kind gestures. His eyes were puffy and nose was red, why would you play games with me at this point in his life.  I sat next to him, admiring the kitchen. The blue paint was the only color that stood out besides the kitchen, how lovely for Abir Bro to design and paint Mishbir's Kitchen. Mishti was so lucky to find someone who loved her unconditionally and passionately.  Kunal's gaze was fixed at a point in front of him. We had nothing to talk about, nothing to share. Though I had understood a little what had happened, the scene at home was so wild that none of us got the time to find out what had happened with Kunal.  Though Mama wanted to know if I knew why Kunal asked such a question, everyone else was talking about Meenakshi Rajvansh and her actions.  

"I'm so happy for Bhai." Kunal broke the prolonged silence. "He had invested in this house to live a new life with Mishti."

"It is a gorgeous house," I replied back, "I hope one day, we too can own a home for just you and..."

Shocked at what I had said, he looked at me. I felt like disappearing, how could I have forgotten the divorce that Kunal had filed for. He didn't want to live with me anymore. I picked up the phone and pretended to be busy. My phone rang and it was  Dadi. 

"Where are you guys?" 

"Dadi, Mishti and I are here with Abir Bro and Kunal. We are at Abir Bro's new house."

"What? Which house? Will you be returning?"

"We might stay here Dadi," I replied back.

"But Kuhu..."she spoke more cautiously, " You can  stay over there, Kunal is your  husband, but Mishti...Mishti is unmarried and now Meenakshi ji has cancelled the marriage and your dadu doesn't want Mishti to marry in that house. What would I say  to your Dadu if he found out that Mishti  was not home?"

"Dadi, Abir Bro and Mishti will get married in some days." Kunal looked at me and checked the date, he whispered, "In ten days." 

He didn't know that Meenakshi Rajvansh had cancelled the wedding. I was slightly baffled, but I guess Abir Bro didn't get the time to tell him. 

"Still beta, in our society, this is not allowed. An unmarried girl with an unmarried boy, " she sighed, "I know it is important for them to talk about what happened today, but..."

"Dadi, if you really think Mishti should come back home, we'll come back home."

"Kuhu beta,  I'll tell the family you guys are sleeping. But if you plan to come back home, give me a  call first. Take care of Mishti and Kunal."

"Thank you Dadi. Goodnight." 

Kunal had filled our plates with the noodles. "Do you want sauce?" 

"No, I'm good." I replied back, "After you left..." 

Just as I was going tell him about the cancellation of the wedding, Mishti and Abir Bro entered the kitchen. "And this is our Kitchen," Abir exclaimed. They were holding hands and finally smiling.