18 || one realization later

Jinsol checked the time on her phone for the nth time in ten minutes. It was cold outside, even colder in her spot in the alley, where no streetlight hit her to warm her up. Not that she was concerned about her body temperature. It was perfect to hide away from prying eyes, in the darkest corner of a building at nighttime. It would provide them with the most security they could have while being out in public technically.

Jinsol was sure that she wouldn't even show up, and she would leave and threaten her over text. But a shadow appeared, and Jinsol looked up to feel both relieved and anxious simultaneously.

"I thought you wouldn't come," Jinsol relaxed.

"You're lucky, because I really wasn't going to," Haseul replied, standing in front of Jinsol. "I had to pause my drama marathon for this."

"You bet the hell I am." Haseul gave a firm nod. "Now, what is it? Is it the whole Sooyoung thing?"

Jinsol slowly nodded.

Haseul sighed. "Figured. What kind of aspiring kpop idol has that kind of attitude?"

"You'd be surprised." Jinsol would know. She kinda had a thing for trainees. She has no idea why.

"Right. I forgot that's who you left me for," Haseul chuckled.

"Seul, you know that wasn't the reason." Jinsol's voice went soft.

"Yeah, I know. Otherwise, I wouldn't have helped you. So, what do you want me to do?"

The feelings of guilt that had begun to settle in Jinsol vanished. "Is there any rumor big enough to cover Jungeun and I?"

Haseul hissed between her teeth as she thought for a moment. "I dunno, Sol. "You two are pretty big. I mean, the school's #1 gossiping mean girl and a pretty, intelligent girl dating? Hard to top that."

"Any way to deflect the attention then?"

Haseul thought for longer before shaking her head. "I might, but I'm not entirely sure."

"You could burn the school down."

"I'm not going to burn the school down."

Jinsol pouted.

"But," Haseul continued, "I might be able to convince everybody that the photos were fake. No guarantee, especially if Sooyoung can debunk it, but I can try."

Jinsol had a feeling it wouldn't work, but it didn't mean she wouldn't try it. Anything was better than nothing. And as angry she was at Jungeun for not listening to her, she didn't want the younger to be upset. Even though this was the exact feeling Jungeun's victims must've surely felt. She hoped that this would discourage Jungeun from spreading rumors like she used to.

"Thanks, Seul," Jinsol smiled.

"Yeah, whatever. But I had nothing to do with this, remember?" Haseul pointed a finger at Jinsol.

"My lips are sealed." Jinsol made a show of zipping her lips and tossing an imaginary key away.

Haseul started walking out the alley when Jinsol called out for her.

"You could've just given me your new number!"

Haseul crossed her arms. "I'm not going to go through and ignore your every time you drunk call me."

"I've grown out of that, I swear!"

The shorter rolled her eyes. "Bye, Jinsol."

With that, Haseul left the alley, and Jinsol waited a full minute before following, feeling just the tiniest bit lighter.