Chocolate

I smiled as I watched her, babying my older cousin Xiaojun. She was so pretty, really pretty.

I told myself I would never fall in love with another woman, and I never did.

No, I did not love my mother romantically, I loved her wholeheartedly, like family ya know?

She was also tanned skinned and had pretty brown eyes. Although hers was much more hazel, like cocoa stirred with milk. Mine was much more closer to dark chocolate. That's how I was in my teenage years, dark and bitter. That's how she also died, dark and bitter.

I didn't think about that, of course I didn't, I was still seven. Picking up fallen leaves and throwing them towards Xiaojun.

Xiaojun gave me a scowl until he smirked. He took another big pile of brown leaves in his hands and threw it to me. I yelped as one accidentally hit my mouth, feeling the dry chalky taste of the leaf.

"Ewww!"

"Hyuck, are you alright?" My mom looked at me, smiling. I knew she was trying to contain her laughter as Xiaojun kept giggling loudly, about to fall and turn around.

We didn't really have much of a sense of humour those days.

"Aww don't be mad Hyuckie," My mom cooed looking at me as I spouted, annoyed at Xiaojun's excessive giggles. "How about we go in for some hot chocolate?"

"Hot chocolate!" My eyes brightened. "With marshmallows?"

"With marshmallows," she said as she took my hand.

"And whipped cream?" Xiaojun said grinning.

"And whipped cream," She warmly smiled at him as she took his hand. She used to smile so warmly. Nowadays though, her smiles were more menacing.

"I would love to dive in a whole pool of whipping cream!" Xiaojun grinned.

"Why would you do that if you could bounce on some marshmallows?"

"Whipping cream is much more better Hyuck!"

"What?! Marshmallows are literally Havana!"

"It's heaven Hyuck,"

"But havana sounds so much cool you know! Like havana and hell!"

"There is a reason why they call it heaven dummie!" Xiaojun blew a raspberry as he got on a chair.

"Oh yeah? And what's that?"

"Oh come on boys, I have a better word for heaven,"

"And what's that?" I said resting on my head on the counter as I watched my mother stir in some chocolate powder.

"The garden above,"

"The what?" Xiaojun said really confused. I was too, yet I still remember how she said it, slow and full.

"The garden above," she smiled. "I believe instead of all the clouds and pretty wings I believe that heaven is a beautiful garden where all the people we miss will be there," She said as she set the common looking hot chocolate on the counter.

"Like Dad?"

"No darling," she smiled. "Dad's at work,"

"Like Grandma?" Xiaojun ask with a tone of hope. Xiaojun was pretty close to our grandmother. Since I'm younger, I didn't remember much of her yet he was more attached. He was devastated at her funeral.

"Like Grandma, and Goldie,"

"Goldie will be there?!" I asked surprised. "What would my goldfish do in a garden?"

"He'll be swimming in the pond with his other fish friends,"

"Or maybe their cooling off in a pool with sunglasses on!" Xiaojun laughed. My mother and I looked at him. "What? It could happen?"

"Extra whipped cream or extra marshmallows?"

"Extra marshmallows!" I grinned. As Xiaojun got his extra whipped cream, I sipped my warm chocolate, feeling the warm feeling around my body.

Then I opened my eyes. It was too bright. As my eyes adjusted to the bright light, I held back in my tears knowing it was just a dream, and my mother was gone.

I looked above to see a beautiful young man, with pretty eyelashes and pink lips, staring at me. He had a black undercut that made him look really good. His eyes widened as he saw me.

"Donghyuck?"

I was confused. Donghyuck? Was that my name?"

"Who's Donghyuck?" I replied still confused. Somehow I don't remember anything, just my mom, and hot chocolate.

Nice, warm hot chocolate.

I looked over to the side to see him. My cousin. Although he is so much older I still recognize him.

"Xiaojun hyung?"

"You remember?" He asked surprised.

"Yeah. What happened?"

"You were in a car crash Donghyuck," he said emphasizing on the name. Then, memories of my mother calling me Donghyuck came back, and I remembered it.

"Ohhh yeah, I'm Lee Donghyuck," I grinned sheepishly. My eyes made contact with the beautiful human next to me. "And you are?"

He stayed quiet. I gulped. Did I forget him too?

"This is Renjun, a friend of yours! Don't you remember?"

The expression on Renjun's face showed we were more than friends. Best friends? Close friends? I don't know my brain isn't responding. Somehow I felt like it was the first time hearing that name, Renjun yet a sense of deja vu hit me also. It's hard to explain.

"Sorry man, I'm pretty sure I'll remember," I smiled at him. He responded with a weak smile.

"I have some things to do," he said. "I'm so glad you're okay Hy-Donghyuck,"

Aha he was going to call me Hyuck. We definitely were close.

But why can't I remember?

His smile, it was really pretty. That's pretty random.

"Thanks,"

"And I'll see you Xiaojun hyung?" Xiaojun nodded, a little too sadly.

"Bye," he quickly left.

"I should've remembered him, but why can't I?" I looked at Xiaojun. "Xiaojun, tell me,"

"Okay look, the doctors said you have temporary memory loss which occurred because of a concussion,"

"How the hell did I get a concussion?"

"Hyuck you don't remember?" Xiaojun looked at me. "You were driving and a lorry rammed your car,"

"I have a car?"

Xiaojun sighed. "I think it's best if you gain your memories yourself. Try not to force it,"

"But, that guy, Renjun," I looked up at my cousin again. "Are you sure he's just a friend?"

"Do you remember anything of him?"

"Nope but he seemed pretty down that I can't remember him,"

"It's okay, you will remember,"