Empathy

Jaemin held my hand in reassurance as I looked at him. We were outside Donghyuck's ward, and Jeno went in first. Jaemin wanted to make sure I was alright first.

Even so, it felt more like he was reassuring himself.

"Are you okay?"

"I...I don't know," Jaemin sighed. "I don't think I can bear him not remembering me,"

I stayed silent for a bit. Jaemin had been friends with Donghyuck for the longest among all three of us. They had been friends since they were 6. A story repeated countless times.

"Look Jaemin," I squeezed his hand slightly. "He remembered his aunt, and Xiaojun. People he knew from an early age, like you. He should remember you. Even if he didn't, you still have me and Jeno yeah,"

Jaemin smiled and pulled me in a hug, catching me by surprise.

"Thank you," Jaemin muffled.

He pulled back and took a deep breath. Still holding hands, we walked into the ward.

°°°°°°°°°

It was a bright day, a bright sunny day. I, Donghyuck, was younger this time, six years old probably. My mother was cooking lunch at the moment and I got bored, running out to the garden. As I ran around, chasing a dragonfly, I heard a soft cry.

I turned around, confused. The cry was soft, yet it was sad. I followed the sound, finding a huge wall. The crying was coming from the other side.

"Hello?" I called out. The sobbing stopped and a sniffle can be heard. "Are you okayyyy?"

"No," I heard a child's voice. I wanted to go to the other side, or at least peak above the fence. I was five, and the fence was tall, really tall.

"Why?" I called out as I looked around, immediately spotting a tall stool. I put it near the fence.

"My cat was sent away!"

I climbed up, able to see the other side. It was another house, pretty similar to mine. The garden was more well kept than mine though, not a single leaf to be spotted on the grass. I looked down to see a boy leaning on the fence. His big glossy eyes looking up at mine in confusion. I looked at him.

"Your cat was sent away?"

"Yeah," The boy got up, spying a ladder. He took it and leant it against the wall. I climbed down as he resumed to sit on the grass, with his curled up position.

"Oh no," I said sitting next to him. "What happened?"

"M-My mommy said that the cat needed to be sent away, or bad things will happen to it," The boy sighed. "I don't want bad things to happen to him, but I'll miss him,"

"What's the name of your cat?"

"Nono,"

"My mommy sent our old dog away too, last time," I said. "She told me the dog will be happier where ever she is now," I said. "I miss her, but my mommy says that we should not be sad or she will be sad too. Instead I stay happy. I'm sure Nono wants you to be happy too right?"

The boy sniffled. "Yeah,"

"So let's be happy!"