Chapter 16

Serenity came home feeling dejected. She slumped on the bed feeling the weight of the predicament on her shoulders. Thankfully, the house was void of her husband's presence when she arrived. She couldn't handle to deal with his queries yet.

To say that she was unhappy was an understatement, she's terribly crestfallen. Time was ticking on her side and she has to act upon the situation as immediately as possible.

Eyeing the God-forsaken results of her infertility which she had discarded on the bed earlier out of pure disappointment, she made a notion in her head to confront Andrei later when he gets home.

I just hope that he'll be cooperative

She thought as she trudged towards the direction of the bathroom with a heavy heart.

Little did she know that her husband would be more than cooperative with the situation,  just not in the sense that she was hoping.
***

A little time later, Andrei finally arrived at his domain. Just as he entered the house, he was quickly informed that his wife arrived not an hour-long ago.

Great, he needed to deal with her.

With slow definite steps, he ambled straight to the direction of their room.

Upon his entrance in their bedchamber, he found a randomly discarded piece of document lying atop the duvet. He also noticed the doors to the connecting terrace were left wide open. It was distinguishable from the way the curtains billowed against the cool breeze of the dusk sky.

Making his way to the bed with the intention to grab the paper, he caught a glimpse of his wife's full-back figure leaning forward on the glass railings. She was already clad on her red silk camisole pajamas.

As he reached the bed, he picked up the piece of paper and analyzed its contents. Andrei sighed after his mind registered the information that was written.

It seems that his wife has something to tell.

Serenity's gaze was fixated straight ahead, looking at the distant view of the illuminated city of London from her position on the terrace of their Bel Air mansion. Her eyes were dull and her body lacked the charisma it usually possessed. Her hands were splayed on top of the railings as she leaned forward on it. Her mind still wandered to the probability of her being childless- the source of her despondency.

She closed her eyes, feeling the cold breeze engulf her body and causing her to shiver. The atmosphere was starting to get colder as time passed by. Slowly, she turned around.

As her body did a hundred and eighty degrees turn, she caught sight of Andrei who was standing on the threshold with his classic stoic face that shows disinterest or hardly anything at all.

Her breath hitched for a moment as she swallowed the lump that was forming on her throat. She was barely prepared for her monologue.

Her eyes left his face momentarily and it landed on the familiar piece of paper on his hand.

Serenity gasped. He knew

Looking back at his face, she knew he demands an explanation. "I need to tell you something," she said.

"Everything"

Serenity nodded as both of them head inside to start the conversation. With each step she took, she could already feel the nervous sensation building on the pit of her stomach.

Once inside, Andrei wasted no time.

"Speak" he demanded in a manner that meant to intimidate her. His eyes turned cold and she knew he wanted answers to her sudden disappearance first before the dreaded topic of her... Infertility.