Chapter Five: REGGIE MOVES IN

Reginald was so excited; this was his first year at college, and so many things were changing for him. He had earned a scholarship to Wilcox State and was going to fulfill his dream of playing college football. His parents were so proud of him and had saved up every penny they had over the years to be able to rent him a small apartment. He was starting his first year at college, living on his own for the first time and he was going to play football a lifelong dream.

He pulled up to the rear of the old building and saw the iron stairs that let up to the second level of the building to an iron landing and a door that was obviously the entrance door to the apartment. When he had spoken to Mr. Remy earlier in the day, he had said that Reggie could park out behind the building, just not to block the bottom floor door, because that was the rear exit to the Diner.

Parking the old farm pickup truck that his father had let him use, he turned off the key and the truck backfired in protest. Reggie sighed, and smiled, looking up at the entrance door. He thought to himself, this is the entrance door to the rest of my life. He jumped out of the cab of the truck and grabbed a big duffel bag full of clothes out of the truck bed brushing straw off of it he slung it over his shoulder and proceeded to walk up the stairs. The stairs were narrow and a little rusty, Reggie guessed they had been painted black at one time. When he got to the landing, he pulled out the key that Mr. Remy had given him, he put it in the doorknob and turned; the door opened easily with a slight creak.

Reggie stood at the door and peered into the apartment. Initially, it was very dark and musky in the apartment, all the windows were closed and the draperies were pulled over them. Remy had told him that there had not been a renter in the place for a little over 6 months. The place smelled a little like cooking grease, Reggie guessed that was because of the Diner downstairs. He walked into the narrow hall dropped his duffel bag on the floor and went to explore.

The apartment was a nice size; when you walked in the apartment to the right, there was a half bath, with a toilet and a sink. Going down a small hallway, it opened up into the main area that was very open; turning to the right was a doorway that was the bedroom suite that had a full bathroom, no tub only a shower. The rest of the apartment was just one big room. On the right wall was the kitchen, with a refrigerator, stove and cabinets below, the cabinets above reached all the way to the ceiling. Out in front of the stove and refrigerator was an eat-at island that sectioned off the kitchen area with three bar stools.

Past the kitchen area was the living area, it was a nice size and was positioned where all the windows were, along the front of the building. The only other window was in the bedroom on the backside of the building. The apartment was fully furnished and currently had a queen size bed in the bedroom and a chest of drawers, along with a closet. The kitchen was fully stocked with dishes and cookware and the living room had a couch, two easy chairs and a small TV. Reginald thought, this is just right! I have everything I need.

He opened all the drapes to let some light in and looked down onto Main Street. Mr. Remy had mentioned that the road department was doing some road work and was at the point of paving. Mr. Remy had advised him to steer clear of Main Street until the construction was complete. He had been right; the road was all torn up; there was no where to drive or park. Reggie had decided that it was a much better option to drive up and park behind the Diner, due to the access of the apartment being in the rear anyway. He watched the road crew for a short time, jackhammering, cursing, yelling; he chuckled and thought, well, they sure are having a time of it?

Reggie turned from the excitement out the window and decided to rearranged the furniture in the apartment to suit his needs, there was not much room to move things around but he set it up to his satisfaction. He then totally unpacked the back of his truck, bringing in all his belongings. His belongings did not equate to much but going up and down the iron steps really could wear a person out. He put his clothes away, when he was comfortable enough, he thought, I better go check in with Remy and let him know I am here.

As he turned to go out the door, a jar full of his mother's cookies that was sitting on the kitchen island fell to the floor and shattered. Reginald jumped, he turned around and walked over to the glass pieces and scattered cookies on the floor and thought, dang, I really love those cookies. Reggie thought, I must not have set it on the bar right. He swept up the pieces and put them in the trashcan. Then proceeded out the door to check in with Remy. As the door shut behind him, just as the key clicked the door locked, the cabinet doors all flew open at the same time, and dishes started flying out one by one and hitting the opposing wall.