Chapter Fifteen: AWAKEN

Eyes fluttering open, where am I? she thought. Looking around it did not look like the sanitarium, no white linens, no white walls, no iron beds. She looked down to what she was wearing, and saw that she was in her best Sunday dress, and wondered when that happened? She went to sit up and realized that she was in a box, a pine box to be exact, because she could smell it. Where is my Betsie? I must find my Betsie.

She was digging, her Betsie was curled up in a ball she was not moving, so she must be sleeping; she has to be sleeping, dirt all around her, she must dig her some space, so that she has room until she is saved from this place. It will be ok, my darling. Mommy will save you.

She dug for what seemed like days, weeks, years, she made the room as big as possible. She knew that Betsie was sleeping, so she left her sleeping in one corner of the room that she dug out for her. She will be fine here until father comes and gets her. She will be fine, my sweet little Betsie. Father would not let her stay down here for long; he will come get you soon my sweet, no worries.

She awoke again, blinked and was in a restaurant, not like one she had ever seen before. Everything was shiny and white. Everything was so very different. She wondered where Betsie was. Through a window she looked and, in the corner, sitting at that table looking out the window, I know it, that is her, that is my Betsie. I knew she would be ok, I tried to tell them. Look at her, she is beautiful.

Wait, Oh, she will be heartbroken, she will be so heartbroken that I left her, she had to grow up without a mother. I left her due to my own dereliction. All I had to do is talk, to tell them where she was, and I could not do it, I was weak. She will hate me; she will blame me and I cannot blame her. I cannot just walk out there; it will give her such a shock.

How do I apologize for my incompetence? How will she ever forgive me?

She has grown up so strong and beautiful, so unlike me and my weak nature; I failed her, I could not save her, I was not there for her. What she must think of me.

Wait, where did she go? She is not here, I will sit here, who is this? I will ask about her, SCREAM. Oh no, not again. Why are they running away? Stop, stop, come back, SCREAM. No, I do not mean to scream; I am looking for Betsie. She was just here. Just please tell me where she is, SCREAM.

What is this place, how come I keep coming back here? Where am I, why is everyone dressed as they are. Why do they all look at me that way.

Who are you? Why are you here? You are not Betsie, SCREAM. Help me, please. SCREAM. I need to find her, to tell her I am sorry. I need to, PLEASE... SCREAM.

No one will help me, they all run from me, I do not understand, these awful people are keeping my sweet child from me. The do not understand what they do, they do not understand what will happen if they make me angry. They do not want to make me angry.

I do not want anyone in here. Stay away. I want to be alone. Stay out of this place, if you will not stay out, I will ensure you will stay out. Stay out, STAY OUT!

DISHES FLYING, POTS FLYING, DISTRUCTION

Each day I search for my sweet child, and each day I am disappointed. I see all these faces, they look of fear and apprehension, none of them are Betsie. They are all keeping her from me. They are evil, they know what they do, they are punishing me. SCREAM.

Wait, who do these girls think they are, they do not look at me the same? They say they can help; NO! get out. SCREAM.

They are back, oh, there is my Betsie. My Betsie. Wait, why are you in my thoughts... get out, get out. She is talking to me, my Betsie, my sweet Betsie. I dare not talk, I dare not SCREAM, I dare not scare her. She sounds so sweet, my Betsie. My sweet Betsie.

She forgives me, she loves me.