Chapter Twelve: PLAN A

JEZ was gathered in the hotel common area, sitting around a small table typing feverishly on their laptops and talking on cell phones. Occasionally they would look up to take a sip of coffee, and bite of muffin, then their heads would bob back down again, staring at the screens.

Frustrated, Jessica said, "there has to be an answer as to why Screaming Lady is connected to Rosie. Once we figure out what it is, I am sure we can use that connection."

Suddenly clearing his throat, and making Elizabeth and Jessica jump out of surprise. "Ok, here me out," Zakary said, "this is my hypothesis. He shut his computer and pulled his sleeves up to his elbows, "Screaming Lady is indeed Rosie's Great Grandmother and upon seeing Rosie in the Diner that fateful day, realized that she was family that they were connected via blood." Zakary looked from Jessica to Elizabeth, who were both listening intently. He adjusted in his seat and continued, "In realizing that Rosie was her family, she has been looking for her ever since she saw her; and when she realizes that each person she sees is NOT her, then she screams in frustration." He sat back in his chair with a self-satisfied smile on his face and arms crossed over his chest.

Jessica was looking at Zakary, with a serious look on her face, "Yes, that does sound plausible, what I do not understand is WHY she is here, WHAT she wants from Rosie, WHY she just showed up five years ago, and WHY she only stays in and around the Diner. Ultimately, WHAT do we need to do to send her back to the other side, or just send her to the other side if she has not been yet?"

Elizabeth broke in, "Well, I think I may have a guess to some of those questions. We have determined that Betsie, her daughter, perished right in front of her eyes, right on this very street; in front of what is now the very Diner." Having Jessica's and Zakary's full attention, Elizabeth went on, "We know that she was committed to an asylum not too far from here where all she did was scream, she never talked again. We also know that around five years ago they did a road project that uncovered something, even though we are not very sure, we can guess it may be the bones of the very same Betsie Blanchard." Elizabeth dropped her face, "I feel that Great Grandma Blanchard has returned to reclaim her daughter. She never knew what happened to her daughter and now the bones have been discovered, she knows that her daughter perished under the road and she wants her daughter to have a proper burial, or she wants her back."

Zakary looking very scholarly, nodded, "Yes, that would seem probable, but where does Rosie fit into all that?"

"Maybe she feels the familial connection to Rosie and is trying to get her assistance?" Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders. "I feel that she stays around the Diner because that is where she saw Rosie, so she feels she has a better chance seeing her there, that is her connection to the real world, that memory of seeing Rosie and feeling that connection."

Jessica was just staring at the table.

"What are you thinking Jess?" Elizabeth asked.

"Well, based on Zakary's and your own hypothesis', I think you both know what our next step is." Jessica looked at both of them; all three nodded.

That afternoon JEZ were in the Mayor's office, the administrative assistant said that he had an opening at three o'clock, so they arrived at two thirty, just to make sure they did not miss the opportunity.

The Mayor was a very large and boisterous man, he seemed excited to talk to the three when they came in his office, with offers of chairs and drinks of water. He inquired as to how the investigation was coming along, if they had solved the case and helped old Remy out with his "situation?"

They all thought, it is always kind of funny, when we are on a case, and the towns people will not call it what it is: A haunting, A ghost, A poltergeist, An entity, etc. They dance around it like it is some sort of unspoken profane word or something. Like if you say it, then it will be true, or then you are the one that is a believer and made it what it is.

They made small talk with the Mayor about the case, then dropped the bombshell.

Elizabeth said, "Mr. Mayor, the reason we have come to see you, is just that. We feel that the "situation" that Remy has is Great Grandmother Blanchard and she realizes that you unearthed Betsie, her daughter in the road project five years ago on Main Street. She wants her to have a proper burial."

The Mayor sat down in his large leather office chair with a huff, "What exactly are you saying?"

Jessica cleared her throat and said, as the Mayor turned to look at her, "Well Mr. Mayor, we propose, that you dig back up the area that the bones were found and relocate them to the cemetery with a proper burial under a headstone for Betsie Blanchard; she never did get a plot or a headstone, and we think that her Mother wants her to have one."

The Mayor's face was turning pink, "Do you realize what you are asking? Do you understand the amount of money that would involve in digging back up that portion of Main Street?"

Zakary interjected, "Well, Mayor, the way I see it, the contractor should foot that bill; because he did not report the find in the first place. His lack of due diligence could put him in quite the legal quandary, if the town decided to sue. Once they dig them back up and realize they are HUMAN remains."

The Mayor shifted in his seat, his face was coming back to a normal color, even though his normal color was a high peach, not far from the pink it turned when he was getting angry. "Well, young man, I see your point, I will get our lawyers and the board right on it. We will have a decision for you by the end of the week."

Jessica pulled her phone out of the back pocket of her jeans, looked at her phone, and said, "Uh, Mr. Mayor, that is three days from now, I understand you are a busy man, but we were hoping to move on this as quick as possible."

The Mayor got up, he was escorting them out of his office, and said, "I'll see what I can do."

All three members of JEZ were standing outside the Mayor's office as the door shut behind them.

Zakary said, "That was good, right?"

Elizabeth asked, "What do we do now, we cannot just sit and wait?"

Jessica looked at both of them and said, "On to Plan B."

Both Zakary and Elizabeth looked at each other and in unison said, "Plan B?"