Chapter Six: REGGIE MOVES OUT

Remy opened the Diner at 5:30 am, the same time that it had opened for all the years that he, his father, his grandfather and great-grandfather had owned it. A few of the regulars came in to have their regular, mostly just coffee, and sit around and read the paper that was dropped off first thing. Remy was thankful that all of the road works out front did not dissuade everyone from walking down the street. Because walking was all you could do, it was closed off to all vehicle traffic.

When he entered the kitchen he gasped, the kitchen was a total mess. All the dishes and pots and pans were scattered all over the floor, all the doors to the cabinets were wide open, and all the unperishable food items were strewn all over the place. It looked as though a tornado had come through the kitchen. As he turned around to go to the phone to call the police, the young man that he was renting the apartment to came through the door, he looked as though he had not slept all night.

Reggie sat down at the counter and said, "Mr. Remy, looks like whoever was in my apartment last night, was in your kitchen as well."

Remy looked at him, astonished. "What are you talking about young man?"

Reggie said, "Well, I was going to come by to see you last night but I decided to get a few groceries instead, after I arrived and moved in last night, and when I got back from the grocery store, my apartment was trashed. All the cabinets were thrown open, all the dishes were thrown out on the floor and broken, the TV was smashed, clothing was torn, etc. I was so distraught, I did not know what to do or say, most of the stuff belonged to you. So, I thought I would leave it like it was, so if you wanted to call the law or something." Reggie looked down at the counter. "I am so very sorry Mr. Remy, I did not do it, but I feel so bad for your property being destroyed like this."

Remy said, "Well son, let's call the police then we will go take a look at the apartment."

Reggie rubbed his eyes and said, "Well, Mr. Remy, that is not all." Remy looked at him concerned.

He shifted on the barstool, and continued, "I cleaned up my clothing and put my food away and was getting ready for bed, you know brushing my teeth and stuff and I saw something out of the corner of my eye when I walked past my bedroom door. So, I stopped and looked into the living room, it was dark and there were shadows, but I will swear, my hand to God, that a lady was sitting in one of the chairs in the living room. She had a black dress on and she was staring at me, she had these black eyes." Reggie said was so scared that he ran out of the apartment and slept all night in his truck.

Remy chuckled nervously, and said, "what are you talking about, boy?"

Reggie was not smiling, he was very serious, his face was white and his eyes were red rimmed, and said, "Mr. Remy, I am telling you sir, whatever was in that apartment last night was NOT mortal and I am sure did all the damage. Plus, I bet she had a hand in what happened to your kitchen here. And it was just a feeling, a BAD feeling, but she DID NOT want me there."

Remy, having seen the screaming lady just the night before, and running all the way home on foot, was still in denial of what he saw. He turned around and picked up the receiver of the phone and dialed the police station.

The two of them went up to the apartment and surveyed the damage in the apartment, Remy was not too heartbroken over the items that were damaged and told Reggie not to worry himself over the damaged items, he could just clean them up and throw out what he did not want to keep after the Police had a look around. At that, there was a knock at the door that made both of them jump.

Reggie answered the door apprehensively only to find a police officer standing there, he invited him in to look around. After the police officer looked over the apartment and the Diner, he questioned Reggie and Remy; Remy had advised Reggie not to say anything about "The Lady" in the chair to the Police officer and Reggie obeyed. When the police officer left, Reggie asked Remy, "You believe me, right?"

Remy looked at Reggie then looked down at his hands, he was turning the tie from his apron around his fingers and sighed, "yeah son, I believe you, I saw her too."

Reggie regretfully moved out the next day.