Chapter Seven

||Clayton||

This morning I woke up with a smile on my face because I was finally making progress with Aubree.

"Good morning, Clayton. You seem chipper." My mom beamed while she poured my dad a cup of coffee. "But we do have something to discuss." She seated herself in the chair across from me and I filled my plate with a hefty number of pancakes.

I instantly knew what this would be about. "The school called, didn't they?"

"My son goes missing halfway through the day and you expect them not to?" She raises an eyebrow.

"I expected them to. I just didn't care." I shrugged and shoveled a forkful of pancake into my mouth.

"Watch it." My dad's voice rumbled.

"I didn't mean it in a bad way. It's just that what I was doing was more important." Thought I knew they would not agree. My parents are sticklers for well educated.

"And what was that?"

I stayed silent for a moment.

"I was with Aubree."

"Aubree. The girl?" I watched as my parents made that face back and forth. That face that meant, who will handle this? Me? Or you?

My dad snapped the newspaper in his hands, making it stand up stiffly. Apparently, my mom would be deciding what to do with me.

"Sweetheart, I will never discipline you for having a good heart."

I sighed in relief.

"With that said, if this girl is really that important to you, then we'd like to meet her."

I watched as my dad peeked out from the side of his paper, watching us intently.

Breathing in deeply, I made eye contact with them both. I exhaled. "I can try, but I don't want to push her. She's shy."

My mom and dad looked at each other again and this time my dad was the one to speak. "It doesn't have to be right away, but sooner rather than later." He smiled slightly. I could tell he was concerned for me, but he had nothing to be concerned about.

"Hey dad."

He folded his paper and set it on the table. He knew I wanted something.

"Could I take your truck to school today?"

-

I pulled up outside Aubree's house. It was rickety and old. Some of the shingles were falling off and a corner of the roof appeared to be rotting away from the elements.

Pulling the keys out of the ignition, I grabbed the little brown bag off the passenger seat, hopped out, and made my way up the dirt path in the front.

There was a smell of stale smoke as I stood outside. I knocked three times and stood there waiting. "Just a minute!" I heard her voice pierce through the air, and it was the loudest I had ever heard her be, but there was a feeling of nervousness in it.

I waited a bit longer. The wooden boards creaked beneath my feet; the porch shifting from left to right with every move I made.

Finally, I heard the squeaking of the doorknob turning and I turned towards the door. "Clayton?" She peeked her head out. It was obvious that she was trying to hold the door as tight to her neck as possible so that I could not see inside. "It's just you." She sounded relieve. "What are you doing here?"

Holding the paper bag up, I answered her, "Breakfast." And smiled.

Looking past me, she noticed my dad's truck. "You drove here?" She questioned.

"I thought I could give you a ride to school."

For a second I swear I thought I saw a small smile play at her lips. "Can you just sit and wait for me then?"

I nodded and retreated.

A few minutes later, the passenger door opened, and Aubree climbed inside. "Falling asleep?"

I clenched and opened my eyes repeatedly. I may have woken up happy, but I spent all weekend wondering about the red mark on Aubree's neck. It had become clear to me why she was wearing that turtleneck; the same one she wore again today. "I'm awake."

"That's what people always say before they plummet off a bridge while driving because they fell asleep at the wheel." She said so confidently.

"Are you afraid that's what will happen?" I started the engine and shifted into drive.

"Why would I be afraid?"

I changed the subject, "How was your weekend?"

"You know," She paused. "It wasn't that bad."

I was satisfied hearing that.

"That's good."

"Yeah." I glanced at her for a moment and caught a faint smile on her face.

I turned onto the main road that would lead us to school. That left me with a few minutes to speak up.

"I have a question for you." She looked at me with a quizzical expression. "I was wondering if maybe one night you'd like to come over for dinner?"

"I'll think about it."

-

Her question lingered in my mind all day.

Why would I be afraid?

The way she said it was almost eerie. It wasn't that she had no fears of plummeting into the water or being trapped in a sinking tin can. It was more as if she had no fears of death itself.

I want so badly to show her that life can be worth living. Because when people lose that sense, they are their own biggest danger.

The last thirty seconds on the clock ticked down while I watched her.

Her hair seemed shinier today, cleaner. It was brushed in straight long locks for the first time ever and it added length to her hair. She didn't have her usual black rings under eyes. She looked well rested and alert.

She peered over her shoulder and smiled at me.

It wasn't huge or full of excitement, but it was there.

I hope you're enjoying, thank you for reading!

Song: Float On by Modest Mouse