Chapter Twelve

||Aubree||

He chased me through the house and my heart pounded in my chest as I desperately tried to get away. Just as my hand hit the front doorknob, I was yanked back, and black smoke engulfed me.

I shot straight up with my eyes jolting open. Pain burst through me and I grabbed my side, taking deep long breaths, trying to breathe through the panic attack.

Darkness surrounded me and the dead silence of the night felt like it was smothering me. I blinked my eyes, observing the room. I could only make out the black figured of furniture, and everything reminded me of him.

He would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Inhale.

Exhale.

I used all my energy to scoot myself to the edge of the bed and let my feet find the floor, my toes bending back as they pressed into the plush carpet.

I was healed for the most part, but still incredibly fatigued and sore. Part of me wanted to allow Clayton to help me extra just so I could be near him, allowing him to make me feel safe. If Clayton could offer me anything positive in life, then that was the greatest gift of all.

He made me feel welcomed.

My hands firmly pushed against the bed and I raised myself up, a little unsteady at first. Guiding myself through the darkness, I reached the bedroom door and tried to remain as quiet as possible as I swung it open.

I looked down the left of the hall. The inside of the house was being illuminated by the streetlight and I easily found my way to the basement door. Beneath it I could see a dim light shining out. I opened the door and cautiously made my way down the stairs, trying not to disturb anyone who was sleeping.

I was breaking the rules, but I didn't even care.

Rounding the wall at the bottom of the stairs, I knocked softly at Clayton's door but there was no answer.

The door was partially open, so I slightly pushed it further, just enough to stick my head inside. "Clayton?" I called into the dark room. Opening the door enough to let the stairway light shine in, I noticed that Clayton's bed was empty and the door leading outside was pulled open.

Where is he?

Walking across his room, I approached the door and peeked my head outside. I saw an orange glowing light at the tip of Clayton's fingers, and he looked at me in horror.

"Aubree! You scared the shit out of me." He grabbed his chest and threw his body against the back of the house, sighing in relief.

"What are you doing?!" I charged up to him to the best of my ability and knocked the cigarette to the ground.

"What was that for?" He looked stunned as he stared at me.

"Those things kill you." Was he an idiot?

"I'm fine." He says and reaches down to the ground, retrieving the little burning stick. I watch as he takes a long drag and exhales.

"Fine. Smoke yourself silly." I snapped and walked back into the house.

"Aubree." I heard Clayton following me and I stopped in the middle of his room, turning around to look at him.

"What?" I hissed with annoyance flooding through me.