Two

Opal was late for breakfast. Her mother scolded as she skated in, breezing along the cherry wood floor to kiss her father's cheek. "Morning!" She chirped

Her father, King Leir, smiled. Until he caught the Queen's unforgiving eye. Clearing his throat, he asked, "Where've you been this morning?"

"I went for an early walk." Pulling up a chair, Opal fixed herself with a 4 minute egg and pulled up the plate of bread. "Where's Daphnes?"

"She and Remont haven't come down yet." The Queen answered.

"Mm." The king pinched his lips disapproving.

"It's a good sign!" The Queen insisted. "The sooner they produce an heir the better."

"Hmph." He didn't sound convinced.

"Now we just need to marry this one off."

Opal looked up from the bread she split. "I just turned 16."

"So? We'd better start looking." The Queen produced a handful of letters all sealed with various royal crests pressed into the wax.

Opal looked to King Leir. "Father?"

"Your mother's right. Courting might take 9 months. A short engagement might take 5. Before then, we need to find a proper suitor."

Opal scrutinized, "What's proper?"

"Oh, well." The Queen exclaimed. "The King of Northunder offered a hefty sum."

Opal's eyes widened. "You're going to SELL me?!"

"This is just business." The Queen sniffed. "How do you think your father and I met?"

This was outrageous!

"No! You can't. I'm your daughter!"

"One of 3," the Queen reminded while opening the next letter. "Your sister did her duties. This is for the betterment of the country in finance and alliances."

Opal had tears in her eyes. "How could you?"

"Tsk. Don't be petulant." The Queen's eyes narrowed on the letter. Her face went white. Hands trembled. She swallowed audibly. "Leir?"

The king retrieved the letter while casually eating a piece of ham. After reading he stopped chewing. Frowned. "Absolutely not."

"This could be a great change for our kingdom!" She insisted.

"Out of the question!"

"What is it?" Asked Opal.

King Leir avoided looking at her, tearing the letter up on the spot. "From the Dark Kingdom. It's for your hand."