Seven

The dark prince Nell took me down a long corridor. Looking around at all the pictures on the walls, I felt in awe. "You have a beautiful family."

"Had." He sounded bitterly.

"What happened?" Or should I not ask?

"They were killed in the war."

The war to which was referring had to be the only war I ever knew. The war of light and dark. When the land was split in half. Many people died. Many more were left homeless and lost.

"I'm sorry." Who had raised them?

"My brother and I were raised by our nanny." It was as if he knew what I was thinking. Almost scary! "It was hard but we... we're better now."

The dark Lord had to be very young when the peace treaty was created. How old had he been?

"9." Nell answered my thoughts again. "My brother was 9 when he took the throne."

"That's very young." I could not imagine. I wanted to cry, but tried to keep my tears inside. My makeup was all done. I didn't want it to smudge before meeting the dark Lord

The dark prince saw me. "You're crying again."

"I am not!"

He stopped me in the hallway. Surrounded by pictures of his dead family in the eerie glow of candlelight might sound creepy, until he touched my cheek. Still damp from crying. His finger brushed away a tear and looked down to me. He smiled but not in a mean way and not teasing. His eyes smiled too. They were silver like my hair and shine like two full moons.

I felt whoozy again like I might faint. My heart didn't pitter patter but pounded like a hammer. I reached out a hand to steady myself against him and he caught me. "You alright?" He whispered softly. Deeply but softly. Like he actually cared.

But he couldn't care that much. He was mean. He was sarcastic. He was the dark prince taking me to meet my would be husband- his brother no less! And I must guard myself against him.

"I'm..." I couldn't answer. His gaze had me locked into place. Had he hypnotized me? What was this feeling? It couldn't be love. I felt like a bird in a cage.

The dark prince Nell smile faded. He leaned in close and closer...until I realized the cologne he was wearing was what made me feel dizzy. It smelled so delicious that I wanted to kiss him and kiss him until it became permanent on my tongue.

But I can't. It's not fair to the dark lord.

"We mustn't." And I tried to pull away, fists clenching against his shoulders to push back.

"Why would anyone have to know?" Nell kept me locked their now not by gaze but by strength. He wasn't smiling and his eyes were ravenous. He looked hungry, like a man dying of thirst and was determined not to let me be a mirage.

"I'm engaged-"

"Not yet." His voice grew husky. His lips lingered close. "I daresay I want to have my chance..."

Should I let him kiss me? I don't know what to do!