Eleven

The next day, Nell woke me up. "You look tired considering the healthy time you went to bed."

I ignored him, riding up to sit in bed, drawing my knees to my chest. The silk nightgown had risen up past my calves, and I hurriedly tugged it down to my ankles.

"Aw." Nell smirked. "It's so cute that you're shy."

"I am not!"

"Are too." He sat on the edge of my bed, tucking a finger under my chin. His murky smile faded when he saw my eyes. "You were crying."

I turned away, burying my head under my pillow. "You shouldn't see me like this." I felt so vulnerable.

I felt Nell's arms snake around me, tugging me up until I was sitting again. He shushed me when I started to sob again. I nestled there in his arms, forbidden or not it was a comfort. He let me rest my head against his chest and my tears slipped over his coat. "This is so embarrassing."

"There's nothing you have to be embarrassed about. You miss your home." His hand smoothed over my long silk hair. It was a mess from my restless sleep.

If only he knew that it was so much more than that.

Nell asked, "What did you think of my brother?"

To which my lip trembled and I broke into sobs again.

"What's this?" He pulled me back to look at me, wiping my tears and smoothing the hair from my face. He looked so concerned. So caring.

But I can't tell him. This is his brother! He'd hate me.

"Did he do something?"

I shook my head.

"Did he say something?"

I hiccuped, "I guess I thought you were joking when you said you preferred my sister."

Nell was taken aback. "I was."

"Your brother... wasn't." And I fell apart again. "I can't do this! I cannot be here. He hates me!"

"Surely you jest."

"No!" And it broke my heart in two to have to admit it. "He...he doesn't want me for anything but my...my bloodline. My lineage."

Nell stiffened. He looked mad, and ready to beat someone. "My brother might be harsh, but this won't do. I'll have a word with him."

"Oh! But you can't!" I grabbed his arm when he stood.

"He shouldn't treat his future wife like this! It's not right. A gentleman wouldn't dare let alone a lord." Whipping around, his cape floated behind as he stormed out.

"Wait!" I immediately got up to chase after him into the Hall. They're brothers. They shouldn't be fighting over me. I'm just sensitive. I need to toughen up. Now there'll be fighting and possibly bloodshed over me.

I had to stop him!